Very basic COM question RRS feed

• Question

• User332559773 posted

I understand that this is a .net forumn but I have a very basic COM question.

My question is why do we need to register the COM components in the registry of our server?

why can't we just call the com components from our asp without registring?

Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:32 PM

Answers

• User372121194 posted

Hi,

Registering Com component allows you to control which DLL version is activated when more than one version is installed on a computer. The .net assembly contains metadata, we can use it without registering. For more information, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kew41ycz(VS.80).aspx

If this doesn’t help you, please feel free to let me know.

I hope this helps. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:11 AM
  • User-170319569 posted

You can use .NET Assemblies, because most of them have already been registered, when you installed .Net framework. If you carefully notice, the time difference between installing the Interdev, and Visual studio is mainly because of this register procedure. You cannot use any COM component without registering. It is just like talking to a stranger without knowing whether he can speak/ understand your language; for better conversation, you need to introduce yourself, and get the knowledge of the languages you can speak, or understand.

Hope this helps. 

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:22 AM
  • User-170319569 posted

You cannot just drop any .net assembly in your bin folder and start using it. You need to add a reference to the dll. This referencing then registers the component during the compile, and saves you registering the files separately.

This hiding of the trivial task is introduced to save the developer from the mundane task. Imagine in the old days of Unix, when you need to install linux, you have to register separate components in a specific sequence, whereas these days, even linux can be installed straight out of the box by few clicks.

The following article at MSDN might throw light on the issue.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k3677y81(VS.71).aspx 

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:53 AM

All replies

• User-647234374 posted

How else would it know where to find your object and how to talk to it?

Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:11 PM
  • User332559773 posted

but then we also call .NET assemblies without registering them in the registry? 

Saturday, February 16, 2008 9:12 PM
  • User372121194 posted

Hi,

Registering Com component allows you to control which DLL version is activated when more than one version is installed on a computer. The .net assembly contains metadata, we can use it without registering. For more information, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kew41ycz(VS.80).aspx

If this doesn’t help you, please feel free to let me know.

I hope this helps. 

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:11 AM
  • User-170319569 posted

You can use .NET Assemblies, because most of them have already been registered, when you installed .Net framework. If you carefully notice, the time difference between installing the Interdev, and Visual studio is mainly because of this register procedure. You cannot use any COM component without registering. It is just like talking to a stranger without knowing whether he can speak/ understand your language; for better conversation, you need to introduce yourself, and get the knowledge of the languages you can speak, or understand.

Hope this helps. 

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:22 AM
  • User332559773 posted

But we don't register .NET assemblies which are in our BIN folder for our application. We just put them there and start using them right?

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:44 AM
  • User-170319569 posted

You cannot just drop any .net assembly in your bin folder and start using it. You need to add a reference to the dll. This referencing then registers the component during the compile, and saves you registering the files separately.

This hiding of the trivial task is introduced to save the developer from the mundane task. Imagine in the old days of Unix, when you need to install linux, you have to register separate components in a specific sequence, whereas these days, even linux can be installed straight out of the box by few clicks.

The following article at MSDN might throw light on the issue.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k3677y81(VS.71).aspx 

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:53 AM
  • User332559773 posted

thanks dave...

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 11:07 AM