none
.NET and C++ newbie Question, HELP Needed RRS feed

• Question

• HI, i have used visual studio 6.0 for a while (a while ago) i downloaded the visual studioC++  2005 eedition recently, but couldnt install it(it doesnt even goe into the install process), i have bought the studio .NET (i have not installd it yet) and i was wondering will i be able to compile, debug, and run(create the exe's) if i would install it on my pc? will i be able to imput visual C++ code into it and be able to work with the things that i have worked on in the past in visual C++ 6.0 ? I do apologize if this is the wrong spot for postng this questions, but i didnt know where else to post it.

Thank You for all replies.

Monday, July 31, 2006 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hi

Instead of running your application press F10 to start it on debug mode. It is not related with your MSDN installation.

Regards

Monday, August 14, 2006 5:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have VS 6 and VS .NET on the same machine, I have been running code on c++ .NET from my old C++ 6.0 compiler and works fine. What I recommend if your project is not very large to create a new empty project and include the files one by one. Otherwise you have wizards that will do the conversion for you.

I will suggest:

1) Backup your old C++ 6 projects
    2) Install the VS .NET
    3) Open your solution using .NET
    4) Run the wizard or include the files one by one
    5) Compile
    6) Enjoy

If you are stucked in the middle just post another entry and we will be here to help you.

Best regards

Monday, July 31, 2006 10:00 PM
  • Yes, installation can be a problem.  I've had many, most of all self-inflicted by trying to work with a Beta version first.  I have one PC that, to this day, just absolutely refuses to run VS2005 RTM.  I haven't tried to hard, designating it the "VS2003 native one".

If you have a reasonably "clean" PC, VS2005 will work OK.  The project conversion works very well, you might just have a few problems if your project uses .lib files that were compiled with an earlier version.  These problems are well documented on this forum.  Give it a shot, it is pretty much worth it.  VS2005 has a lot of bugs but they tend to be obscure.  The IDE is quite compelling.  Service Pack #1 was supposed to be available this summer but is now "Q3".  Can't wait...
    Monday, July 31, 2006 10:32 PM
  • thx for the help, i was a bit confused, and to be honest i still am. Is the .NET another (upgraded) version of the visual C++6.0 and the 2005 is the newest compiler?  Right now i have no projects at present, i couldnt get the 2005 version to run so i just went back to the 6.0 eedition, but the fact that i cant meake a exe file out of it and see how the program runs is quite a bit of an issue for me(i used to work on the "regular" version a while back of the 6.0 and i could make the exe files to check how the programs run), i just didnt want to install the .NET (lol it just had 2 many cd's 5 or 6 i have to check ;), so i just instaled the 6.0 version of it). So basicaly all things that i usualy in the visual C++ 6.0 will behave the same way in the .NET studio? if yes thats great.

just one question im not clear about this, but what did u mean by : "3) Open your solution using .NET"

i think i will uninstall the 6.0 version first, and then install the .NET (my main drive is almost empty, i only have 650 mb's on it left)

btw do i need to install all the cd's (that is all the visual studio.NET) cd's? or only some of them (im only planing to use the C++ compiler)

Thank You for the help once again.

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 12:28 AM
  • Hi,

C++ .NET is a new compiler that allows you to compile unmanaged and managed code on the same project, also introduces new C++ lenguage features (for managed code). this means that you have a little more parameters to understand if you want to fully use it, otherwise, with the default configuration you will be ok. Your new IDE will understand your H and CPP files without problem, maybe you will nee to check the references to libraries but that is easy job.

On the installation of .NET you can select the components and lenguages to install, just remove the bits that you don't need. The only problem is the MSDN help, it can be a harddrive consumer!, you can also install the minimal parts and use the CDs to look for help (a little slower though).

Cheers!

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 9:06 AM
  • hi, thank You for the explanation, i actualy instaled the .NET yesterday(uninstalled v6.0 first) it took me almost 3 hours to do so, to be honest it took me about 20 minutes to figure out the instalation (i was unprepared for a instalation using cmd, and the references, i thought it would just install itselfe like the 6.0 version did, but all works, i did not instal the MSDN help, if ill need it ill check the cd(my hd is just barely empty, i only have now on the main drive about 600mb's left, but the other partitions have well over 70 gigs of free space), im still trying to understand the compiler a bit, the last time i used v6.0 was almost 2 years ago, and now i honestly had a bit of a probelm even debuging  simple (helo world.cpp) code, the "debug" was grayed out, and i couldnt do anything with it, that was at 1 am after i installed everything, so maby jut me being tired was the issue , ill try to redo it, in couple of minutes, i have to get used to the interface a bit....again lol, will report on the results of it, thx again for the help.
    Tuesday, August 1, 2006 7:09 PM
  • HI, I have a problem with bebugging the program, how do i debugg? when i want to debugg(in the options), and pres Start i can not do so (its grayed out) and in the window below it states that i can not debuggin the design window(mode..i forgot which ) how do i "enable" debuging, and later on if i might have problems building, and ruing ?(just in case) all i see are 2 windows on the botom :the command window, and the output window, thats it, i have not installed the MSDN help on the pc, does that maby have anything to do with my problem with the "lack" of the debugging option?

Thank You.

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 10:23 PM
  • Hi

Instead of running your application press F10 to start it on debug mode. It is not related with your MSDN installation.

Regards

Monday, August 14, 2006 5:31 PM