How to customize the Xamarin Studio Workbench? RRS feed

• Question

• User303087 posted

Hi!

That's the question hehehe... How can I customize the Xamarin Studio Workbench to looks like Visual Studio Community or other IDE?

I think the current workbench looks like an editor and not a real IDE and I wanna make that looks like an IDE, by adding of the Toolbars and buttons like create a new Solution, create/add a new Project, Build, Clean, Run, Debug, Add a new file, copy, paste, cut, among others. And drop the single run bar which made looks the IDE like a toy app. -.-'

Thanks in advanced.

P.S.: All the expressions here are only my own thinks.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:04 AM

All replies

• User12211 posted

If you mean Xamarin Studio Woorkbooks, it's not supposed to be an IDE for application projects. It's meant for creating live workbooks for experimenting, teaching, training or exploring. If you want an IDE for developing applications, use Xamarin Studio Community (on Mac), Visual Studio for Mac (still in preview), or Visual Studio Community (on Windows).

Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:43 AM
  • User303087 posted

I mean a Xamarin Studio Community, I'm using it now and I think that has a great potential as IDE but I wanna customize the workbench adding toolbars like: editing, debugging, building and more, just like Visual Studio Community Edition where we can add toolbars to customize the developer experience.

Nowaday when we wanna add a new project or file we have to press right click over solution or project to do it, or go to the main menu option. So, if we wanna add a shortcut to an action we can't do it. That's all that I mean.

P.S.: I'm using Xamarin Studio Community on Windows 10.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:12 AM
  • User12211 posted

Xamarin Studio doesn't have a "traditional" Windows toolbar, so there's no provision to customize it.

If you're on Windows and you want an IDE like Visual Studio, why not just use Visual Studio? Xamarin Studio for Windows is being phased out, which is why it is no longer installed automatically on Windows.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:34 PM
  • User303087 posted

I'm using VS Community 2015, but it came with some limitations, until now just works on Windows and doesn't support Mono natively. So, I decide to try other IDE's, an open-sourced IDE without that limitations.

1. I just wanna try other IDE:

• I used SharpDevelop and is good but is youngest yet and only works on Windows.
      • I built MonoDevelop and it is incomplete to use on Windows.
      • I'm using Xamarin Studio and is the winner, but if that you said is right, so I think that I will back to SharpDevelop if Xamarin Studio will be phased out on Windows.
    2. It works with Mono natively.

So, I thougth that the programmers (users) would be abble to extend the Xamarin Studio/MonoDevelop more deeply.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 10:20 PM