SSAS 2005 - Prefetch Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am wanting to selectively disable fact prefetching for reporting against our cube.
    Due to network  related issues, we access our cube from Actuate using SOAP calls via msmdpump.dll.

While experimenting, I have captured details into the 'DSO \ RepositoryConnectionString' in the Analysis Services configuration, including setting the [Disable Prefetch Facts] to True.
    It appears that this change has globally influenced all connections to not use Prefetch.
    Is this a valid assumption?
    I ask this, since I really have no idea what DSO is all about, and was actually a little surprised to find the prefetch to appear to be disabled when I was experimenting with this option.

Secondly, within the SOAP call, can I include <DisablePrefetchFacts>True</DisablePrefetchFacts> into the <PropertyList></PropertyList> section, allowing me to target specific environments/reports?
    (Obviously I will need to undo the 'DSO' change, assuming it is 'defaulting' all connections to this behavior.)

Thanks,
    Andrew Westran

Thursday, February 19, 2009 3:15 PM

Answers

• Andrew Westran said:

Hi all,

I am wanting to selectively disable fact prefetching for reporting against our cube.
    Due to network  related issues, we access our cube from Actuate using SOAP calls via msmdpump.dll.

While experimenting, I have captured details into the 'DSO \ RepositoryConnectionString' in the Analysis Services configuration, including setting the [Disable Prefetch Facts] to True.
    It appears that this change has globally influenced all connections to not use Prefetch.
    I ask this, since I really have no idea what DSO is all about, and was actually a little surprised to find the prefetch to appear to be disabled when I was experimenting with this option.

DSO is the old API for Analysis Services 2000. The DSO repository would only be used if you have migrated an AS 2000 database AND have not changed it at all with any of the SSAS 2005 designers. So I suspect that changing this connection string is not really doing much.

Andrew Westran said:

Secondly, within the SOAP call, can I include <DisablePrefetchFacts>True</DisablePrefetchFacts> into the <PropertyList></PropertyList> section, allowing me to target specific environments/reports?
    (Obviously I will need to undo the 'DSO' change, assuming it is 'defaulting' all connections to this behavior.)

If you want to selectively set this property I think this is probably the best way. I think the PropertyList supports all the connection string properties, so I think this should work.

http://geekswithblogs.net/darrengosbell - please mark correct answers
    • Marked as answer by Andrew Westran Monday, February 23, 2009 7:54 AM
    Friday, February 20, 2009 12:33 AM

All replies

• Andrew Westran said:

Hi all,

DSO is the old API for Analysis Services 2000. The DSO repository would only be used if you have migrated an AS 2000 database AND have not changed it at all with any of the SSAS 2005 designers. So I suspect that changing this connection string is not really doing much.

Andrew Westran said:

If you want to selectively set this property I think this is probably the best way. I think the PropertyList supports all the connection string properties, so I think this should work.

http://geekswithblogs.net/darrengosbell - please mark correct answers
    • Marked as answer by Andrew Westran Monday, February 23, 2009 7:54 AM
    Friday, February 20, 2009 12:33 AM
  • Thanks for the info, Darren.
    I will certainly give the PropertyList change a whirl and see how this goes.

Incidentally, the current cube was migrated from an AS 2000 database, though I would have said it has subsequently been updated with the 2005 designers.
    Friday, February 20, 2009 3:18 AM
  • Hi Darren,

The SOAP change does appear to work correctly.
    Many thanks for your time.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 7:55 AM