trouble deploying azurestack POC RRS feed

• Question

• Hardware is dell poweredge R820 (2x 8 core CPUs / 256GB memory) with 5 1TB local disks.

Following doc at:

https://acom-prod-uswest-01.azurewebsites.net/en-us/documentation/articles/azure-stack-run-powershell-script/

All preparation steps complete successfully,  Server is configured for static IP.

from the original disk (there's not enough space to copy the entire folder to the newly mounted VHDX drive), i run the deploy command with -NATVMStaticIP, –NATVMStaticGateway and -ProxyServer switches appropriate for our network and the process gets though the first reboot just fine. 

After logging back in, the script continues but seems to quickly get stuck on the below step:

Microsoft Azure Stack POC Deployment
        8 out of 124 task(s) completed
        [oooooooo                                                                                                                                         ]

Running
       Microsoft Azure Stack POC Fabric Installer
          Running Task(s): 1, Completed Task(s): 8, Total Tasks: 52
          [ooooooooooooooooooooo

In one of the log files, i see the below section repeating over and over until the script fails:

[20160315-12:00:57][testhost][PoCHelpFunction.ps1]    [192.168.100.2] Connecting 
    to remote server 192.168.100.2 failed with the following error message : The 
    WinRM client received an HTTP status code of 502 from the remote WS-Management 
    service. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
    [20160315-12:00:57][testhost][PoCHelpFunction.ps1]    Retrying: 1 / 0
    [20160315-12:00:57][testhost][PoCHelpFunction.ps1]    Fail to connnect remote 
    machine[192.168.100.2]

thanks for any insight or tips to get this running, i've tried a few times to unmounting the MicrosoftAzureStackPOCBoot.vhdx file and starting over.  hoping this enough cleanup anjd i don't have to reload the original OS disk.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 4:13 PM

Answers

• I believe I found the issue in that i was patching and applying KB3124262 to MicrosoftAzureStackPOCBoot.vhdx after it booted up when it looks like i was only supposed to do that to the host OS.

The only change on this latest attempt was disabling the 3 extra NICs and update the time/date info before kicking off the deploy script and the POC installed successfully.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 6:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in here.
    We are currently researching on this and will keep you posted with the findings.
    We appreciate your patience.

Regards,
    Malar.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 11:17 AM
  • thanks, from the error log

Start-PocFabricInstallerTasks : POCFabricInstaller failed because the 
    following tasks failed: ADVM
    At C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AzureStack\Deployment\RunAzureStackDeploymentTask.p
    s1:158 char:19
    + ...        $result = & "Start-$moduleName`Tasks" -StatusUpdatedCallback {
    +                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorExcep 
       tion
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorExceptio 
       n,Start-PocFabricInstallerTasks

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AzureStack\Deployment\RunAzureStackDeploymentTask.ps1 
    : Azure Stack deployment failed in Task Group PocFabricInstaller
    At C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AzureStack\Deployment\Invoke-AzureStackDeployment.p
    s1:41 char:5
    +     & $PSScriptRoot\RunAzureStackDeploymentTask.ps1 -ErrorAction Stop ...
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorExcep 
       tion
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorExceptio 
       n,RunAzureStackDeploymentTask.ps1

also from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AzureStack\Logs\AzureStackFabricInstaller\ADVM_ef6b270d-1399-44a1-ac70-96b03052a5e4_Warning.log:

The following recommended condition is not met for DNS: Unable to determine if 
    a static IP address is configured in the guest operating system contained in 
    the virtual hard disk (VHD). If a dynamic IP address is configured, clients 
    might not be able to contact this server if the IP address changes. Please 
    ensure a static IP address is configured in the guest operating system before 
    installing DNS Server.

• Edited by Michealo_ Wednesday, March 16, 2016 1:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 1:03 PM
  • I believe I found the issue in that i was patching and applying KB3124262 to MicrosoftAzureStackPOCBoot.vhdx after it booted up when it looks like i was only supposed to do that to the host OS.

The only change on this latest attempt was disabling the 3 extra NICs and update the time/date info before kicking off the deploy script and the POC installed successfully.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 6:53 PM
  • Hi,

We're glad the deployment was successful.

Regards,
    Malar.

• Proposed as answer by YanAung Thursday, March 23, 2017 9:37 AM
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 3:15 AM