Going away in 2008 release? RRS feed

• Question

•  

What is its replacement
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:29 PM

All replies

• A very good question!

It's natural for some features to not make it in the long run. They may become obsolete. Or a new, better technology is developed. Or perhaps they just weren't adopted widely enough to make a continued effort worthwhile - the case in Notification Services.

One would think that before a feature is deprecated, that there would be a "way forward" or at least that sufficient time would be provided to migrate off of the feature in question. Microsoft has generally provided warnings in 2-3 product revisions before getting rid of a feature - the final one stating that the feature will not be present in the following release.

However, with Notification Services that is not the case. Notification Services will not be part of SQL Server 2008 and no replacement has been provided. There was no "announcement" provided; just a little blurb in buried in the readme file of the July CTP. More about that here.

The long term solution is for Reporting Services to be able to do much of the same thing as Notification Services. But that's the long term. In SQL Server 2008, it's just not there yet.

So, that leave many of us in a rather diffult spot. I have clients who rely on SSNS for their business processes. Others have developed services based on SSNS and they receive considerable revenue annually from the sale of those services. As a consultant, I have lost a bit of face with these clients because I recommended and used a feature that has now been abandoned.

I've spoken with many people at Microsoft about this, but in the end Notification Services will not be part of the product.

So, what to do? I'm recommending to clients:
    1. Upgrade non-SSNS SQL Server instances as soon as testing and deploying can be accomplished, however delay the upgrade of the SSNS box.
    2. Begin considering a way to replace the functionality of SSNS with a home grown solution (or phase out the functionality if it's not worth your while). Once this is done, you can upgrade the SSNS box.
    3. If you have a new notification application to implement and time to market it critical, SSNS is still a very valid option. Its rapid development and scalability make it hard to beat if you are okay with delaying the upgrade of the machine. SSNS is still supported by Microsoft in SQL Server 2005.
    HTH...

Joe

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:21 PM