BizTalk Server 2010 - polls data from sql server 2016 - slow performance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have  a receive location WCF-Custom with SQL bindings, that polls a SQL Server 2008R2 database and the performance is good. The same receive location, with SQL Server 2016, has poor performance.

Is there a known performance issue with BizTalk 2010 polling sqlserver 2016 tables. what can we check at our end. any configuration that we need to check.

Regards,

Sharmishtha

Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:03 PM

All replies

• If you are seeing a perf difference, it is not because of any difference between SQL Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2016.  I would expect them to perform nearly identically.

You should be looking at other factors and differences between the two servers.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 4:02 PM
  • Can you give me a hint on what parameters/ configuration, we need to check in the sql servers.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 4:31 PM
  • Do the queries/stored procedures run similarly in Management Studio?

Can you try for a .Net test client?

Thursday, June 1, 2017 4:56 PM
  • Hi ,

Apart from what Johns305 suggested, I would suggest after you test out with a .net client and find the same issue, you should set up a sql profiler to check out if anything that doesnot need to be executed is running in the background. Also  if need arises,you should also look at the performance counters for the SQL server by collecting datasets of SQL performance during the slow period

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Friday, June 2, 2017 12:21 AM
  • IMHO this is to be expected because the SQL Native client is backwards compatible so while the SQL Client deployed on your BizTalk Server 2010 (which has pre-req as SQL Server 2008 R2) would have supported databases on 2005 and 2008 (-2 versions for backward compatibility) there is no guarentee for forward compatibility.

Refer https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/native-client/applications/support-policies-for-sql-server-native-client for Native Client support policies. You need to check (possibly on a T & D environment) if BizTalk can work with SQL Native Client 11 (which can run on Windows Server 2008 R2) and supports SQL Server 2016/2014/2012 and possibly 2008 R2 (??).

Regards.

Friday, June 2, 2017 5:46 AM
  • IMHO this is to be expected 

Is it? I have no issues with BizTalk 2003 / SQL Server 2005 communicating with a SQL server 2012 Cluster even using the old SQL adapter not WCF-SQL

/ Peter

Friday, June 2, 2017 6:26 AM
  • IMHO this is to be expected 

Is it? I have no issues with BizTalk 2003 / SQL Server 2005 communicating with a SQL server 2012 Cluster even using the old SQL adapter not WCF-SQL

/ Peter

That is why I prefixed the IMHO. If it works for you, Yeaaa !!!

Regards.

Friday, June 2, 2017 6:45 AM