AppFabric 1.1 caching - does not appear to distribute? RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if this forum is being maintained however I am trying to find the answer to the question and cannot find anything.

I have 3 servers running WS2008R2 Std + all updates

I have installed AppFabric on all 3 servers.

The cluster appears to be created and I can access the cluster no problem. I can read and write to it - great!

The problem is, when I write a test app to populate the cache and see well it works, it does not work so well.

So, my servers each have 2 GB of memory. This is a total of 6GB. My understanding is that AppFabric will use all the memory available in the cluster to store data.

I created an app which populates around 3-4 GB of memory (in small chunks) however I only see it being inserted on the lead host.

Then when memory gets full on that 1 physical machine, I get an exception that the service is being throttled and cannot continue adding items to the cache.

At this point, I look on Server 2 and 3 and the memory is not being used - plenty free!

to me, seems like AppFabric is NOT distributing the data across the cluster on the nodes?

Firewalls are off. No AV installed either.

My app.config file has references to those 3 hosts:

<host name="AppFabric1.mydomain.com" cachePort="22233"/>
          <host name="AppFabric2.mydomain.com" cachePort="22233"/>
          <host name="AppFabric3.mydomain.com" cachePort="22233"/>

What am I doing wrong? Am I misunderstanding how AppFabric caching works?

The 3 nodes also have CU5 installed so its all up to date.

This is a big problem for me at the moment and no idea where to go.

thank you.

C# MVP (2007-2010) MS Vendor - MS All the way! Follower since 1995 MS Super Evangelist| MSDN Forums Moderator

Sunday, June 22, 2014 9:18 PM

All replies

• Hello,

How are you pushing data in your AppFabric cache? Are you using regions?

Regions limit the data to one cache host only to optimize performance.

Monday, June 30, 2014 2:56 PM
  • not using regions at all. just a standard new cache

C# MVP (2007-2010) MS Vendor - MS All the way! Follower since 1995 MS Super Evangelist| MSDN Forums Moderator

Monday, June 30, 2014 3:13 PM
  • Are you using High availability? This double the size of memory used by your cache.

Have you checked how much memory was using the appfabric process on each cache node? 

EDIT:

Forgot to ask, could you share the result of the Get-CacheStatistics command?

• Edited by Pierrick Blons Monday, June 30, 2014 9:11 PM Forgot one question
    Monday, June 30, 2014 9:04 PM
  • Not using HA :)

I will post the get cache statistics when I populate the cache again soon to do some more testing but as for each cache node, appfaric uses the normal amount but only the one node when being populated uses as much as it can until it goes into a throttled state. The other nodes at this point do nothing.

Monday, June 30, 2014 9:15 PM