Which one is higher priority RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using ms word 2013. I want to know which style has higher priority.

If i extract the *.docx into xml file, there is a entry for PPR and RPR for one paragraph in document.xml, style.xml and numering.xml. what is the order of the priority for paragraph and run.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 12:10 PM

Answers

• Hi AswiniRam, the order in which the styles are applied, or the Style Hierarchy, is described in ISO/IEC 29500, section 17.7.2. The following description is taken directly from the documentation and describes the order for the different properties. See that section for additional information.

• First, the document defaults are applied to all runs and paragraphs in the document.
    • Next, the table style properties are applied to each table in the document, following the conditional formatting inclusions and exclusions specified per table.
    • Next, numbered item and paragraph properties are applied to each paragraph formatted with a numbering style.
    • Next, paragraph and run properties are applied to each paragraph as defined by the paragraph style.
    • Next, run properties are applied to each run with a specific character style applied.
    • Finally, we apply direct formatting (paragraph or run properties not from styles). If this direct formatting includes numbering, that numbering + the associated paragraph properties are applied.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Hi AswiniRam, as it states in the last, step direct formatting is "paragraph or run properties not from styles. Paragraph properties are represented by the <pPr> element (section 17.3.1.26) and Run properties are represented by the <rPr> element (section 17.3.2.28). There is also additional information on Paragraph and Run properties with respect to Styles in sections 17.7.8 and 17.7.9.

The ISO/IEC 29500 specification can be downloaded from the following location:

http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html

Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Aswini,

Thank you for your question. A member of the Protocol Documentation support team will respond to you soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:48 PM
  • Hi AswiniRam, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 1:35 PM
  • Hi AswiniRam, the order in which the styles are applied, or the Style Hierarchy, is described in ISO/IEC 29500, section 17.7.2. The following description is taken directly from the documentation and describes the order for the different properties. See that section for additional information.

• First, the document defaults are applied to all runs and paragraphs in the document.
    • Next, the table style properties are applied to each table in the document, following the conditional formatting inclusions and exclusions specified per table.
    • Next, numbered item and paragraph properties are applied to each paragraph formatted with a numbering style.
    • Next, paragraph and run properties are applied to each paragraph as defined by the paragraph style.
    • Next, run properties are applied to each run with a specific character style applied.
    • Finally, we apply direct formatting (paragraph or run properties not from styles). If this direct formatting includes numbering, that numbering + the associated paragraph properties are applied.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Hi Josh Curry,

Thank you for your reply. Also i need some other information. What do you meant by direct formatting?

Thursday, May 15, 2014 4:56 AM
  • Hi AswiniRam, as it states in the last, step direct formatting is "paragraph or run properties not from styles. Paragraph properties are represented by the <pPr> element (section 17.3.1.26) and Run properties are represented by the <rPr> element (section 17.3.2.28). There is also additional information on Paragraph and Run properties with respect to Styles in sections 17.7.8 and 17.7.9.

The ISO/IEC 29500 specification can be downloaded from the following location:

http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html

Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:04 PM