locked
VS2012 has stopped working

    Question

  • All of a sudden I cannot debug anymore using either Visual Studio or VS Express on any of my machines.

    The App I am developing starts debugging, displays the first screen perfectly, then after a few seconds there is a popup message saying that VS has stopped working.

    I can find no reason why this should be happening, and have had to stop development.

    I tried starting VS with a /Log switch, and I enclose the results as a link on my Skydrive: http://sdrv.ms/MG55Eq

    HELP!

    Friday, August 10, 2012 9:17 AM

Answers

  • Hi Mike.

    I have found the problem (or at leasr I have a workaround...).

    I did a clean install on a machine (Windows 8 + VS2012 + a few of needed libraries (Live, Callisto and Json.net) and everything worked fine.

    I finally identified as the problem an installation of the Phone 8 developer SDK on my two main machines. There were no problems after its installation, only after its first use. I disinstalled the toolkit and did a repair on VS2012 and now everything is Ok (apart from the usual quirks with the Live SDk, but that is normal).

    I have not kept any information from the Phone 8 SDK install, but if neede I can setup an additional machine and repeat the experiment.

    Paul Maruiotti

    Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:30 PM

All replies

  • Hi Paul,

    thanks for getting package load log.  I think we'll need to try to get additional troubleshooting info.  The log tells me that the vsdebug package is being loaded successfully.  There are also a string of packages that get an "Unexpected system error mode before loading package".  The package right before we get this error that loads successfully is the store validation package.

    Is this happening with Visual Studio 2012 RC?

    What type of application are you trying to debug?

    Does this happen when you debug a simple application e.g. File | New Project, try a simple C# console application.

    much appreciated,

    mike

    Friday, August 10, 2012 6:15 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Mike.

    I have found the problem (or at leasr I have a workaround...).

    I did a clean install on a machine (Windows 8 + VS2012 + a few of needed libraries (Live, Callisto and Json.net) and everything worked fine.

    I finally identified as the problem an installation of the Phone 8 developer SDK on my two main machines. There were no problems after its installation, only after its first use. I disinstalled the toolkit and did a repair on VS2012 and now everything is Ok (apart from the usual quirks with the Live SDk, but that is normal).

    I have not kept any information from the Phone 8 SDK install, but if neede I can setup an additional machine and repeat the experiment.

    Paul Maruiotti

    Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:30 PM