none
Can mouse/touchpad change pointer icon on Win8? RRS feed

• Question

• I found the following description on the Windows hardware certification requirement (System).

----------
    System.Client.SystemConfiguration.Windows8RequiredComponents

Customized user interface elements include overlays, pop-up dialogs, toasts, or other transitory user interface elements that appears over the Start screen, Metro style apps, or desktop. It does not include Metro style apps or desktop apps.
    Examples:
    The following user interface elements may not be displayed in response to a button press:
    Showing a customized overlay or a toast in response to the changed state of a touchpad
    ----------

In my understanding, the mouse/touchpad driver can change a pointer icon on Windows 8, but somebody said it can't.

I would like to make clear whether can mouse/touchpad driver change pointer icon on Windows 8 environment to meet the Windows hardware certification requirement?

I would really appreciate your feedback regarding this question.

Thank you!

kikuchi

Monday, October 22, 2012 11:34 AM

Answers

• a mouse driver on its own cannot control the look of the cursor. the cursor image is only set by a user mode API which you cannot call in a driver.  what problem are you worried about? are you changing the cursor in your driver today? the goal here is that there is a consistent UI experience regardless of which driver is installed.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 22, 2012 4:33 PM

All replies

• a mouse driver on its own cannot control the look of the cursor. the cursor image is only set by a user mode API which you cannot call in a driver.  what problem are you worried about? are you changing the cursor in your driver today? the goal here is that there is a consistent UI experience regardless of which driver is installed.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 22, 2012 4:33 PM
  • Doron,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

Our driver supports gestures that are described on Windows modern touchpad recommendation and our original functions.  When our driver detects such gesture, the pointer icon will be changed depending on the function. I want to confirm that these behavior will be matched on the Windows certification requirements.

kikuchi

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:38 AM
  • don't change the pointer icon in your code, let the OS do it.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:35 PM
  • I see.  Thank you very much!!

kikuchi

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:55 PM
  • Sorry, one question remained regarding this...

If we use a balloon notification instead of changing pointer icon, it also doesn't meet the Windows Hardware Certification Requirements. Is it correct? (because a balloon notification is a kind of toast notification.) 

kikuchi

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:41 AM
  • yes. there should be no UI intrusion/changes at all.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:07 PM
  • Thank you again for your kind assistance.

kikuchi

Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:09 AM