Suggestion for indicating an empty list view or grid view?

Question

• In my application I have three different gridviews on the main page. The contents of each of these sections changes so sometimes the first two gridviews are empty, other times only the middle gridview is populated, etc... This just leaves the headers for the empty gridviews showing and nothing else. It can look a bit odd at times.

So my main question is what is the best way to handle empty gridviews?

-When the gridview is empty would you display a message saying "no items found" where the gridview contents would be?
    -Would you instead modify the gridview headers to say "no items found"?
    -Other suggestions?

I am curious to know how other people handle this from a UI/UX point of view. 

Thanks.

• Edited by twubneh Monday, January 13, 2014 8:22 PM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 8:21 PM

Answers

• Hi twubneh,

It depends.

If you want your client know that you have such listview, but currently there is no data available, you should leave the empty listview there and tell the user "No items found". You could insert an item which contain "No itesm found" but I would not suggest you to modify the header, it will looks not good and it's better to keep all gridview or listview with a same style.

If you don't care user know there is such listview, just hide it.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by twubneh Friday, January 17, 2014 9:06 PM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 1:41 AM