Help: Unauth Users 'Out of Memory Error Message' RRS feed

• Question

• I’ve been going around in circles with this error for some time now. I wanted to see if anyone experienced the same situation and any help or feedback you can provide would be great.

I have a SharePoint list that I need to make publically available so that unauthenticated users can submit information.

Every time an anonymous user submits the form I get the following error on adding the item:

Server Out Of Memory

There is no memory on the server to run your program. Please contact your administrator with this problem.

Exception Details: System.OutOfMemoryException: Server Out Of Memory
    There is no memory on the server to run your program. Please contact your administrator with this problem.

This shouldn’t be the issue as the server has more than adequate amounts of memory. The site I’m referring to is using FBA to authenticate registered users.

NOTE: the list item actually gets added but the user gets faced with the ugly error page. When the user is authenticated the page works fine.

These facts got me a bit confused.

Digging up the event log I got the following info:

Event Type:        Warning

Event Source:    ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0

Event Category:                Web Event

Event ID:              1309

Date:                     10/4/2007

Time:                     7:29:47 PM

User:                     N/A

Event code: 3005

Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.

Event time: 10/4/2007 7:29:47 PM

Event time (UTC): 10/5/2007 2:29:47 AM

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/2033962442/Root-8-128360214290668992

Trust level: Full

Application Virtual Path: /

Application Path: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\partnerWebsite\

Machine name: VMMOSS

Process information:

Process ID: 1556

Process name: w3wp.exe

Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:

Exception type: OutOfMemoryException

Exception message: Server Out Of Memory

Request information:

Request URL: http://partnerwebsite/Lists/registerList/register.aspx

Request path: /Lists/registerList/register.aspx

User host address: 201.220.10.142

User: 

Is authenticated: False

Authentication Type: 

Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:

Thread ID: 1

Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Is impersonating: False

Stack trace:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.AddOrUpdateItem(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, Boolean bAdd, Boolean bSystemUpdate, Boolean bPreserveItemVersion, Boolean bUpdateNoVersion, Int32& plID, String& pbstrGuid, Guid pbstrNewDocId, Boolean bHasNewDocId, String bstrVersion, Object& pvarAttachmentNames, Object& pvarAttachmentContents, Object& pvarProperties, Boolean bCheckOut, Boolean bCheckin, Boolean bMigration, Boolean bPublish)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.AddOrUpdateItem(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, Boolean bAdd, Boolean bSystemUpdate, Boolean bPreserveItemVersion, Boolean bUpdateNoVersion, Int32& plID, String& pbstrGuid, Guid pbstrNewDocId, Boolean bHasNewDocId, String bstrVersion, Object& pvarAttachmentNames, Object& pvarAttachmentContents, Object& pvarProperties, Boolean bCheckOut, Boolean bCheckin, Boolean bMigration, Boolean bPublish)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.AddOrUpdateItem(Boolean bAdd, Boolean bSystem, Boolean bPreserveItemVersion, Boolean bNoVersion, Boolean bMigration, Boolean bPublish, Boolean bCheckOut, Boolean bCheckin, Guid newGuidOnAdd, Int32& ulID, Object& objAttachmentNames, Object& objAttachmentContents, Boolean suppressAfterEvents)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.UpdateInternal(Boolean bSystem, Boolean bPreserveItemVersion, Guid newGuidOnAdd, Boolean bMigration, Boolean bPublish, Boolean bNoVersion, Boolean bCheckOut, Boolean bCheckin, Boolean suppressAfterEvents)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.Update()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SaveButton.SaveItem(SPContext itemContext, Boolean uploadMode, String checkInComment)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SaveButton.SaveItem()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SaveButton.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args)

at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)

at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)

at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)

at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

I don’t see anything else in the SharePoint logs that is any more useful regarding this error – not sure why I’m getting this.

Any thoughts? – let me know if I can provide w/ more info to troubleshoot this.

Friday, October 5, 2007 3:03 AM

Answers

• This was on an RTM version of MOSS - i eliminated options to what i felt was the culprit and came to the following conclusion:

an anonymous site does not work on moss :-) not for what we needed - we needed to start workflows, alerts, event handlers and many other features that just dont work with an anonymous user in the mix.

so we created a dummy "guest" user that is automatically authenticated to the site when someone visits.

this dummy guest user makes it so that MOSS doesnt break when list items are trying to populate "modified by" or any type of user association it tries to do with anonymous users.

works great ... too bad its not documented ... hope this helps some of you out there.
    Monday, January 28, 2008 3:52 PM

All replies

• I have exactly same problem.

In fact if i create new list it works for some time and then I start getting sames errors for anonymus users.

Friday, November 30, 2007 4:19 PM
  •  

I too got the same error Folks !

Still searching for the solution.

Request you to post the same here. in case you get a solution / respond on my email id !

Thanks,

hash.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:16 AM
  • Is this with WSS or MOSS? Do you have SP1 applied? Is there anything in the event logs? How about the SharePoint logs? Did anyone raise this with Microsoft support?

Regards,

Paul

Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:37 PM
  • This was on an RTM version of MOSS - i eliminated options to what i felt was the culprit and came to the following conclusion:

an anonymous site does not work on moss :-) not for what we needed - we needed to start workflows, alerts, event handlers and many other features that just dont work with an anonymous user in the mix.

so we created a dummy "guest" user that is automatically authenticated to the site when someone visits.

this dummy guest user makes it so that MOSS doesnt break when list items are trying to populate "modified by" or any type of user association it tries to do with anonymous users.

works great ... too bad its not documented ... hope this helps some of you out there.
    Monday, January 28, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Hi Talarico,

in your post you mentioned:

"so we created a dummy "guest" user that is automatically authenticated to the site when someone visits. "

Could you please explain the steps necessary to accomplish this?

Thanks alot!

Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:56 AM
  • Hi People,
    I found the same error here when trying to enable anonymous comments to a new blog sub-site. What we done was to enable anonymous access for the application and break the permission inheritance to the comments list to enable anonymous users to add items. This way anonymous users can reply posts on the WSS blog site.

Everything worked well until someone had the brilliant idea to enable an approval workflow to the comments list. We started to have yellow page error and the following error on the event list:
    Event ID 1309
    Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 9/2/2010 15:26:53
    Event time (UTC): 9/2/2010 17:26:53
    Event ID: 6e5b0daa1c3c4cf4a847595b65933ece
    Event sequence: 20
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0
    Exception information:
    Exception type: OutOfMemoryException
    Exception message: Memória insuficiente no servidor
    Não há memória suficiente no servidor para executar seu programa. Informe este problema ao administrador.

The main reason for it is that the approval workflow creates a task list and a WorkFlow History list and When an item is added in the comments list, the workflow begins trying to add items in this lists. I think it is a permission Issue because it works well when posting comments logged as an administrator. I tried to add permissions on the task list for anonymous users, but it still doesn't work.

The bad news is that even deleting the workflow from the comments list, the out of memory error still happens. We need to Delete the website and re-create it to make the comments work again for anonymous users.

I really don't know why an OutOfMemory Exception is raised because of the anonymous user permission for a workflow, but my suggestion is that you disable any kind of workflow on the WSS Blog site production environment.

Nicolás Curti
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:09 PM