Non web-based multi-platform Outlook Plugin RRS feed

• Question

• Good day

I am currently attempting to implement a Outlook plugin that will open a separate program which will perform certain tasks on a message and then create and send the new message through Outlook. The plugin will also recognize messages that were made in this program and start-up the  program if the user selects the message to open it.

The plugin should be installed on the system with the separate program so it is best to avoid making use of a web server to host the Office add-in (Outlook web add-ins), though the plugin also needs to be able to support both Outlook on Mac and Windows so VSTO add-ins cannot be used for Mac systems.

Is there possibly another way to create the plugin to allow it to be multi platform and not be web based? Or even create a separate Outlook for Mac plugin which is not web-based that can create email messages and do basic messaging functions (send, reply, forward, etc. ), even if it involves Apple scripting or VBA?

Monday, February 27, 2017 2:31 PM

Answers

• "Is there possibly another way to create the plugin to allow it to be multi platform and not be web based?"

Nope. Office.js API made to provide cross platform support.

"Or even create a separate Outlook for Mac plugin which is not web-based that can create email messages and do basic messaging functions (send, reply, forward, etc. ), even if it involves Apple scripting or VBA?"

Limited extensibility of Outlook for OSX can be done with AppleScript through Outlook's scriptable interface. You should discover the interface closely in order to identify if it's good enough for your project needs.

As the word from myself, I would advise to think over on your project requirement and may be limit/redesign certain necessities, but make it based on the technology available. For example: relay on user input, other than events to make it work with Office.js API or use Office.js project for Outlook on Mac and for Web, but for Outlook on Windows create reach and functional COM/VSTO add-in.

Hope this help,

Slava Ivanov

• Marked as answer by rantunes2179 Monday, February 27, 2017 5:32 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2017 5:07 PM

All replies

• "Is there possibly another way to create the plugin to allow it to be multi platform and not be web based?"

Nope. Office.js API made to provide cross platform support.

"Or even create a separate Outlook for Mac plugin which is not web-based that can create email messages and do basic messaging functions (send, reply, forward, etc. ), even if it involves Apple scripting or VBA?"

Limited extensibility of Outlook for OSX can be done with AppleScript through Outlook's scriptable interface. You should discover the interface closely in order to identify if it's good enough for your project needs.

As the word from myself, I would advise to think over on your project requirement and may be limit/redesign certain necessities, but make it based on the technology available. For example: relay on user input, other than events to make it work with Office.js API or use Office.js project for Outlook on Mac and for Web, but for Outlook on Windows create reach and functional COM/VSTO add-in.

Hope this help,

Slava Ivanov

• Marked as answer by rantunes2179 Monday, February 27, 2017 5:32 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2017 5:07 PM
  • Hello,

You may also find the Selecting an API or technology for developing solutions for Outlook article helpful.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Monday, February 27, 2017 8:20 PM