Conventions for making a nice looking Pivot app RRS feed

• Question

• So I was reading the "10 money making secrets", and one of the tips was to "embrace windows phone design." I want to make my app as streamlined as possible.

My app is a bus schedule app. I am using a pivot (I thought that was more appropriate than Panorama). The first pivot item holds the bus routes. When a user clicks a route, I want to show them the shedule.

I was just wondering what the convention was for doing things like this. For example, in the Messaging App, what happens when you click a thread? Does it just change the content of the PivotItem? Or does the whole Pivot get replaced with a new control? Or something else?

My intention is to have 2 pivots. When the user clicks a route, I want to load (or do what ever to display) a second pivot which will hold the schedule for that route (each pivot item in the route pivot will represent a stop for the bus).

So should I replace the route pivot with a stop pivot?  or should I wrap the whole "pivot area" in a contentpresenter and then change the content when routes are selected? 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! This is the first app I have made using the Pivot. And ask for clarification if something isn't clear! :)

Thanks!
    Paul

pdem

Friday, August 10, 2012 6:34 PM

All replies

• Pivot is normally intended for a series of components or a short list of some type. If you are using clicks as your primary navigation, I would suggest the change content technique, because since you need to make your clickables large enough for people to tap, it's probably not worth having the Pivot's heading take up the extra space.

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:54 AM
  • Pivot is normally intended for a series of components or a short list of some type. If you are using clicks as your primary navigation, I would suggest the change content technique, because since you need to make your clickables large enough for people to tap, it's probably not worth having the Pivot's heading take up the extra space.

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

That actually makes a lot of sense now that I am working with them...

Do you have any suggestions? Should I just use pages, and navigate between the pages? There isn't really any logical reason to "flick" back and forth between pivot items, so perhaps just navigating between pages, and using the back button is a better idea. Unless you have any other ideas. :)

Thanks!

pdem

Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:53 PM