none
Oracle Connection String OleDb Details Hidden? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

A friend of mine created a test table for me in an oracle 9i database on our Lan, and I can successfully connect to it.

I'm confused as to why the connection string I use is so simple--how does everything sync up when I don't even specify the IP Address of his pc?

Here is the connection string I use:

"Provider=MSDAORA;Data Source=TestDb;User ID=craig;Password=craig;"

Does the OleDb object automatically look up the details in my TNSNAMES.ORA? What if I install this app on a computer that doesn't have the TNSNAMES.ORA file on it?

I like knowing how to do the details so I can debug or adapt if the database location is changed, renamed, upgraded, etc.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 2:06 AM

Answers

• Once you have installed the oracle client you use it to declare the various data sources you might have and the oledb connection string just references it and uses the settings you declared in the oracle tool.
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 2:29 AM

All replies

• Once you have installed the oracle client you use it to declare the various data sources you might have and the oledb connection string just references it and uses the settings you declared in the oracle tool.
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 2:29 AM
  • So...we must have a client on each computer that runs the program in order to communicate to the main database?

This is different than what I'm used to with Access, the .Net data adapter is all you need. Is there any 'fat' .net data adapter out there for oracle where one doesn't have to have the client? Are MS SQL, MySQl like this too? I suppose I've been in a vacuum with Access...

Thanks for the feedback.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 6:22 AM
  • According to this you need to install the oracle client.
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2d7h4ycx(VS.80).aspx

For MS SQL server you do not need to install any extra components.

For MySQL you would need to install the MySQL .NET connector, though I believe this can be redistributed with your applications setup package.

Sunday, July 22, 2007 1:55 AM