none
Can any one suggest a good design RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am developing a small application (c# asp.net). This site will be used by both internal users (intranet) and external user (internet). I have this taken as initiative and that to learn basics of building architecture of web applications.     

What would be the best way to design my project solution – keep in mind that the external users will have separate contents to display on screen?  

I don’t have any portal (vignette etc.) to run my application within that. It will be independent (stand alone) application for both type of users.

So, what methodology I should adopt. MVC would work? But I have few heavy server controls to use like Grid.

Also, I need to know the login user is from intranet / internet to authenticate respectively. What authentication would be good enough?

Any basic idea / explanation would help.

Thanks.

AJ     

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:41 AM

All replies

• MVC is, indeed, a better option in this case. But its certainly not a good practice to use server side control in MVC, MVC is not meant to be use like this. In case of heavy server data you can either user silver light controls which will do the asynchronous processing or else you can have a data paging. 

On the other hand, MVC itself echo architecture and I believe that it could resolve your issue for dual gateway. In View, you can create sections like "Intranet", "Internet" & "common". As the name suggests in "Intranet" you can have views which are only related to "Intranet" users, for "Internet", views will for internet users and "common" section will contains views which are common to both users. In this way, you can categorize views/partial views to minimize the coding effort and at the same time increase the scalability.

& trust me, when MVC is coded correctly it perform extremely well.

• Edited by Anuj Tripathi Friday, February 10, 2012 6:24 PM formatting
    Friday, February 10, 2012 6:24 PM
  • MVC would solve your problem. It support multiple views and controller decides which one to display so if a perticular set of users are having separate contents to display, it can be done using MVC.

To display controls like Grid, tables etc...you can make use of UI frameworks like jQuery or Ex-JS through which controls like Grid, tables are easy to build and also lightweight.

User can be authenticated by keeping both external & internal users in AD on separate OUs. AD pluggins like SiteMinder can be used to maintain external & internal users in AD.

Thanks, AT

Monday, April 9, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Thanks Anuj.

AJ

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:53 AM
  • Thanks AT.

AJ

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:54 AM
  • In addition, to answer your question "Also, I need to know the login user is from intranet / internet to authenticate respectively. What authentication would be good enough?

In asp.net you can enable mixed-mode authentication which will work for both internal user (Authenticate from AD) and external user (Form/Custom auth..)

A simple workflow would look like,

For details you can refer :

http://aspalliance.com/553_Mixed_Mode_Authentication.2

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms972958

Lingaraj Mishra

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:24 PM