none
Access table storage using OData

Question

• Hi,

I have a requirement where I have to access table storage without using the storage client API, but using OData. Let me explain the scenario: There is a client side visualization tool which allows binding to various data sources and protocols, OData being one of them. It is absolutely necessary for us to use table service because we have massive amounts of data.

The client tool does not support plugging in a C# component (or alse I would have used the storage client). The tool does provide support for the OData protocol. Question is, how do I access table service using OData? What is the syntax? Any reference would be appreciated.

Regards,

Vikram

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:41 AM

Answers

All replies

• The table storage API is OData, but all HTTP requests have to be signed with the account key, so you won't be able to use an off-the-shelf OData consumer. You could build a proxy that signed requests, or you could build your own OData head and expose the data however you want.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:37 AM
  • So an option is to us to use a wcf data service and expose that. I guess that should work? The service would return the data set.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:44 PM
  • Yes, exactly.

• Marked as answer by vikram_142 Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:26 PM
  • FYI, inspired by your question, I built a proxy that signs requests for you: https://github.com/smarx/wazproxy. I think you'll be better off exposing your own WCF Data Service, but I thought I'd mention it.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:12 AM
  • Sorry if this sounds like a really stupid question. When a wcf data service is deployed to cloud what does the url look like to post requests to it? http://myservice.cloudapp.net/service.svc/GetItems
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:09 PM
  • I don't know. I don't think I've ever published a WCF Data Service.

But it shouldn't look any different on Windows Azure than it does anywhere else, in case that helps.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:07 PM
  • Can anyone point me to a really simple wcf data service sample that accesses azure table storage. and the service is accessed through a url. I'm having a hard time finding somethimg. Please help.
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:33 PM