none
"FinRibbons" error.. After upgrading to 2013 CE version of Visual Studio (from 2010 version) RRS feed

• Question

• It (MS Word Ribbon project made from older version of VS) works not so bad.

But, ALL projects has this Error from time to time but, for sure.

What do I have to do ?

I am with Office 2010 32bit, Windows 8.1 64bit and 2013 CE VS

Error    1    The "FindRibbons" task failed unexpectedly.
    System.ArgumentException: Invalid directory on URL.

Server stack trace:
       at System.Security.Util.DirectoryString.CreateSeparatedString(String directory)
       at System.Security.Util.URLString.ParseFileURL(String url)
       at System.Security.Util.URLString.ParseString(String url, Boolean parsed)
       at System.Security.Util.URLString.GetFileName()
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.ReflectionOnlyLoadFrom(String assemblyFile)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.BuildTasks.FindRibbons.FindRibbonTypes(String assemblyName)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.BuildTasks.FindRibbons.Execute()
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask.Execute()
       at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()
       at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__20.MoveNext()   

And Bulah bulah...

Regards

Thursday, May 21, 2015 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you install http://aka.ms/officedevtoolsforvs2013 ?

Where and when do you get an exception? Could you be more specific?

Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:49 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I already installed all kind of Updates.

And..

Where/When is kind of tweaky.

It works fine with no Error (above mentioned kind).

But, if you change something (even add a space within comment sentence),

press F6/F5,

Now, it shows above mentioned error with the exactly same message.

And,

If I build it again (this time, with no change at all), it reports no error at all. Just works fine.

What is this ?

Looks really strange.

Regards

Thursday, May 21, 2015 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

Could you get that error with a new project or just has the issue with the older project?

If you have the issue with the new project, you may try to repair the VS and try again.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, May 22, 2015 1:57 AM
  • Hi..

The above error is only for the project made with old version of VS some time earlier.

If I made new project with new version of VS right now, everything are so clear and nice.

But, you know what, I got plenty of old codes (actually most of my efforts are just "OLD" now). And, Becaus I am a beginner, If you say just make the same code with newer version of VS, I'd like to say bad words to you. It is almost impossible for me. It is soooooo hard to make C# codes.

Regards

Friday, May 22, 2015 2:56 AM
  • Hi,

How do you reference System.Security.Util assembly? You said that that error just for the old project, then if you create a new project in the old version of VS and upgrade to 2013, does it have the same issue too?

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, May 25, 2015 5:32 AM

I do not have old one any more (VS).

And, sorry, I do not know "System.Security.Util assembly".

Regards

Monday, May 25, 2015 9:24 PM
  • Hi,

Does it have the same issue in other VS (installed in other machine)?

Regards

Starain

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 5:18 AM
  • ^^

I have no 2nd computer at the moment.

I'll try it with leisure.

Do you have any wild guess in your mind ?

Regards

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

Since you don’t have a new project that created on the old VS and there isn’t other machine to do test, it is difficult to narrow down this issue.

Base on your reply, it seems that you don’t familiar with that project. I don’t know whether you could share the project on the OneDrive. It is better that you could share a sample project that can reproduce that issue on the OneDrive.

Regards

Starain

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 5:51 AM
  • Sounds good.

If you want to see the details of my problematic project(s) line by line.

It will be really appreciated.

I can send you all of them.

But, one tiny problem, What is the OneDrive? I've never used it.

Regards

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 3:37 PM
  • <<What is the OneDrive? I've never used it.>>

OneDrive used to be know as "SkyDrive", until Sky Broadcasting in the UK took MS to court over the name and won.

If you go to www.OneDrive.com you should be able to sign up for an account. You can use the same ID information as you use for these forums. It's free of charge (as long as you don't choose any options, such as increased drive space). You can upload files to folders you create and share links so that people can download them (without needing to sign up, themselves, for OneDrive).

If you're already using a service that lets you share files without people needing to sign up you can use that and provide a link.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Thanks for nice tip.

But, I just give it up.

Regards

Thursday, May 28, 2015 8:43 AM