none
Problem with domain computers accessing DB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition 64bit (no domain, authentication is SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode) and we have Access aplication which connects to DB with SQL user. That user is in connection string

Everything works fine when computer is in workgroup. After joining in domain I got error:

Connection failed:

SQLState: '28000'

SQL Server Error: 18452

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed. The login is from an untrasted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 8:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Please, could you have a look at this thread ?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsecurity/thread/dffb2540-fdc4-47a9-b68c-d500d2dd4beb

I am not sure to have understood your problem in a full way.

Please, could you tell whether the computer on which your SQL Server 200 R2 Entreprise ( with a Windows Server as operating system ) is belonging to the same Windows domain than the computer which joined recently ?

A possibly useful link ( coming from the blog which is the reference for every connection problem with SQL Server )

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2008/05/03/understanding-the-error-message-login-failed-for-user-the-user-is-not-associated-with-a-trusted-sql-server-connection.aspx

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:41 AM
  • Hi

I partialy solved my problem by giving computer local group Users Modify rights to c:\program files\aplication folder. It is on 32bit system.

64bit system got the same error.

SQL server is on Windows server 2008 r2 and is not in any domain. Only client computers are in Domain.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:23 AM
  • Hi Kaspars,

According to your scenario, at first you use a SQL Server login to connect database from application with no problem, after joined in a domain, the error occurs.

If my understanding is correct, have you ever checked the connection string in your application? If it still uses the SQL Server login, there will be nothing wrong. If it changed to a windows login for connection, make sure it is a domain account and this account can be used to log into SQL Server via SQL Server Management Studio.

Another basic thing need to be confirmed is, after you joined the domain, please ensure the account you using to run the windows system is a domain account, if you use the local account, this error will occur.

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:22 AM
  • Hi

Connection string uses SQL login. I always login with domain login in domain joined computer.

I figured out what is causing my problem. Office security update KB2687441. With out it everything works on 64bit machine.

I solved my problem with help from this post http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/excel/thread/3795aab0-9329-41d9-a820-c166aad4ff19

After installing this path, I reregister old ocx file over new one.

• Proposed as answer by Iric WenModerator Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:21 AM
    • Edited by Kaspars_ Friday, September 21, 2012 5:22 AM Edit
    • Marked as answer by Kaspars_ Friday, September 21, 2012 5:22 AM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:56 AM