Need advice on application architecture. RRS feed

• Question

• I apologize for posting this here, but I'm not sure where else would make sense.  I can move it somewhere else if appropriate.  In any case,

I have a sl4 business application.  The application include a sl4 class library containing class objects that are used in the sl4 application.

I would like to access some of the classes in the sl4 class library in an asp.net page.  My intent is to put the asp.net page in my sl4Application.Web webspace so that I can directly access my domaindataservice throught ASP.Net instead of sl4.

My problem is that some of the classes I want to use is in the sl4 class library and the sl4application.Web is preventing me with the message:
    "the referenced project is targeted to a different framework family (Silverlight)",

which I admit, it is.

Short of creating a mirror library and targeting it for the .net 4 framework, what can I do?  How should this be handled?

Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:15 PM

Answers

• You can share files between Silverlight project and regular .NET project. 

Use Add Exiting Item feature to point to a class file under your Silverlight project, then use Add as Link option to add the file into your regular .NET project.  This will work as long as the functions and objects in the shared class file not rely on any Silverlight specific library.

This is better for code maintainers since both projects use the same file, not a copy of the file.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:21 PM

All replies

• You can share files between Silverlight project and regular .NET project. 

Use Add Exiting Item feature to point to a class file under your Silverlight project, then use Add as Link option to add the file into your regular .NET project.  This will work as long as the functions and objects in the shared class file not rely on any Silverlight specific library.

This is better for code maintainers since both projects use the same file, not a copy of the file.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:21 PM
  • Thank you.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:08 PM