TFS Upgrade GUID question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

Just looking for some confirmation on a TFS upgrade. 

I have an existing TFS2010 environment that I am looking to migrate to a TFS12.

I have backed up the DBs, restored these to a new server. I have ran through the TFS upgrade that upgraded the TFS DBs (long process!)

Question is.........Do I need to upgrade the GUIDs? Am I correct in thinking that if I plan to have both systems in live then YES I do so that we dont confuse clients but if I plan on migrating then switching the old one off then I do not need to? 

Regards

Geraint

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Geraint,

Thanks for your feedback!

I recommend you to change the TFS GUID use ChangeServerID Command instead of operating the database directly.

To change the TFS GUID please follow these steps
    1. Open a cmd window as admin on the AT
    2. Change to the directory: “%programfiles%\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Tools” and run the following commands.
    3. iisreset /stop
    4. tfsconfig changeserverid /sqlinstance:<dataTierName> /databasename:Tfs_Configuration
    5. tfsconfig registerdb /sqlinstance:<dataTierName> /databaseName:Tfs_Configuration
    6. iisreset /start
    7. net start tfsjobagent

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Geraint,

Thanks for your post!

Do you mean you want to use TFS 2010 and TFS 2012 servers?

To keep both servers running you need to restamp the TFS 2012 database GUID (the clients are confused when there are 2 TFS servers running using the same GUID).

For more information, you can refer to http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bharry/archive/2009/10/21/upgrading-from-tfs-2005-2008-to-tfs-2010.aspx

http://blog.damianbrady.com.au/2012/06/03/upgrading-tfs2010-tfs2012-rc-done/

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]

Friday, June 22, 2012 8:16 AM
  • Thanks, one last question

Where can I find the GUID?

I have read that its on the db properties, extended then tfs_instance but I cant see the TFS_Instance under extended properties. 

I can see an application ID under web.config, is that it? How else can I find this out....

Regards

Geraint

Monday, June 25, 2012 9:30 AM
  • Hi Geraint,

Thanks for your feedback!

I recommend you to change the TFS GUID use ChangeServerID Command instead of operating the database directly.

To change the TFS GUID please follow these steps
    1. Open a cmd window as admin on the AT
    2. Change to the directory: “%programfiles%\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Tools” and run the following commands.
    3. iisreset /stop
    4. tfsconfig changeserverid /sqlinstance:<dataTierName> /databasename:Tfs_Configuration
    5. tfsconfig registerdb /sqlinstance:<dataTierName> /databaseName:Tfs_Configuration
    6. iisreset /start
    7. net start tfsjobagent

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:13 AM