package load failure RRS feed

• Question

• I have create a vspackage, it can run successful in the experiment hive ,     then  I creat a vsshell,  copy the vspackage.dll  and

the vspackage.pkgdef files into the package to load file.  when I debug the vsshell, it shows    Package Load Failure ....  .   what's

wrong with it?

Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:47 AM

Answers

• Package Load Failure simply means that something went wrong (likely an exception) while loading your package, it is impossible to diagnose from what you have written above.  Try running VS with the /Log switch and looking at the resulting log, or running it under a debugger and looking in the output window for exceptions.

Ryan

Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:51 PM

All replies

• Package Load Failure simply means that something went wrong (likely an exception) while loading your package, it is impossible to diagnose from what you have written above.  Try running VS with the /Log switch and looking at the resulting log, or running it under a debugger and looking in the output window for exceptions.

Ryan

Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:51 PM
  • how to running VS with the /Log switch and looking at the resulting log?

Friday, February 11, 2011 2:23 AM
  • Link

Ryan
    Friday, February 11, 2011 2:33 AM
  • how  can I debug the package when I run the vsshell?

Friday, February 11, 2011 8:03 AM
  • Attach a debugger to VS and cause your package to load. Or, if it is loading on startup open devenv.exe from the file->open project menu item. This will load devenv.exe as the debug target, hit F5 and it will launch devenv with the debugger attached from the beginning.

Ryan

Friday, February 11, 2011 8:27 AM
  • the output window shows:

First-chance exception at 0x7c812afb in TestVSShell.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: EEFileLoadException at memory location 0x0012beb4..
    First-chance exception at 0x7c812afb in TestVSShell.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: [rethrow] at memory location 0x00000000..
    First-chance exception at 0x7c812afb in TestVSShell.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: [rethrow] at memory location 0x00000000..
    First-chance exception at 0x7c812afb in TestVSShell.exe: 0xE0434F4D: 0xe0434f4d.
    First-chance exception at 0x7c812afb in TestVSShell.exe: 0xE0434F4D: 0xe0434f4d.
    Package 'Company.myVSPackage.myVSPackage, myVSPackage, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' failed to load.

I don't understand what's mean?  Testvsshell is the shell I create,  In the beginning,  when I run Testvsshell, it can load myvspackage successfully,   then, I make some repair to the myvspackage and copy again the myvspackage.dll and myvspackage.pkgdef into packagetoLoad file.    when I reload  Testvsshell, it occours the "package load failure" error.

there is some relationship with this?

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:51 AM
  • Set up your environment for mixed-mode debugging, if you load devenv.exe as your debug target it will default to 'auto' detection of the proper mode, but devenv.exe is a native executable, thus it will choose native debugging.  You need to right click on the devenv node in the solution explorer, click properties, on the properties page that is opened change the 'Debugger Type' option from 'Auto' to 'Mixed'.  Then hit F5.  I say this because 0xE0434F4D is the exception code for a managed exception, the fact it is just printing out the code above and not breaking in the debugger means you aren't debugging in mixed mode.

Ryan

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:36 PM