Debugging crash dump (manage code) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My application (C#, thus manage code) is set to generate crash dump on unhandle exceptions. 

Now I have a crash dump xxx.dmp but I can't seem to load it back successfuly to Visual Studio to debug it.  I can't get neither the symbols nor the call stack to show.  I've tried WinDbg and SOS without much success. 

With native code, doing this would be a breeze.  What am I missing here?  What steps should I go through to debug my manage code crash dump?  Any hints?

Friday, October 12, 2007 6:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Can you give me more details about what you do when debugging the crash dump and what happens?

You should be able to load the dump in VS, hit F5 to get to the execution point and then use SOS to get the callstack. Does any of these steps give you an error, or just not the expected results?

The current versions of Visual Studio don't support debugging managed dumps, and debugging with SOS is not the easiest of the tasks but it can be done. You can get more information about SOS debugging here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404370(VS.80).aspx.

We know that this scenario isn't easy and it's in our plans to improve it in a future version of Visual Studio.

Hope this helps, Laura

Monday, October 15, 2007 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you give me more details about what you do when debugging the crash dump and what happens?

You should be able to load the dump in VS, hit F5 to get to the execution point and then use SOS to get the callstack. Does any of these steps give you an error, or just not the expected results?

The current versions of Visual Studio don't support debugging managed dumps, and debugging with SOS is not the easiest of the tasks but it can be done. You can get more information about SOS debugging here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404370(VS.80).aspx.

We know that this scenario isn't easy and it's in our plans to improve it in a future version of Visual Studio.

Hope this helps, Laura

Monday, October 15, 2007 5:49 PM
  •  

//We know that this scenario isn't easy and it's in our plans to improve it in a future version of Visual Studio.

Is the "future version" Visual Studio 2008 or a version beyond that one?

Monday, October 15, 2007 6:22 PM