none
What is the lowest cost IoT Core board that does support DX

Question

• RPi doesn't support DirectX video. Can someone tell me, for currently available hardware, what is the lowest cost board that does support DirectX video?

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 11:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi mjmeans,

Of the three Microsoft builds images for, I suspect DragonBoard is the cheapest with DirectX support. However, Intel does offer an open BSP so even though it might cost more, the MBM may be a better choice of the three as it would give you the most control.

I recommend looking at the https://catalog.azureiotsuite.com/ sorting by OS and then reaching out to the OEM for details of their BSP and costs related to their platform.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, February 09, 2017 12:06 AM
  • Hello!  

My scenario for using Windows IOT Core requires hardware unit costs to be less than $100 USD.  This is necessary to be competitive with competing solutions built with Android and iOS.  Anyway, I just wanted to reach out to see if there have been any new developments around accelerated graphics support using less expensive hardware offerings?  i.e. I'm thinking RP3 or similar inexpensive equipment.

I'm looking for integrated storage, memory, and wifi.  ...Seems like the price point for most hardware Windows IOT Compatible hardware (Joule, Toradex, MinnowBoard) are substantially above $100 when you factor in necessary component cost.  

For this reason we continue to use Intel Compute Sticks with Windows IOT Enterprise LTSB for a single UWP app.  IOT Core/Pro really makes sense since it is a single UWP app.    Someday I hope we can use IOT Core/Pro, just curious to hear if there has been any progress on this front.

Thanks,

Shaun

Friday, February 17, 2017 4:06 PM
  • hello

Pi'2 are still not DirectX compatible and don't support HW Acceleration

so the first board would be Qualcomm's Dragonboard 410c but supports only a single resolution (1280x720)

even if Toradex boards are more expensive you have much better support compared to Pi's and DB

br
    Andre

Friday, February 17, 2017 4:16 PM
  • @mjmeans, IotGirl --

If the original poster wants to run video might DragonBoard not work?  

The latest detail from this thread "Accelerated Video on Dragonboard 410c" (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/63c8f470-7f63-4ea3-929f-c11bd61d1929/accelerated-video-on-dragonboard-410c?forum=WindowsIoT)  suggests that certain DirectX support is missing or bugged, including accelerated video playback.  

• Edited by S Tonstad Friday, February 17, 2017 4:22 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2017 4:22 PM
  • Hi Shaun,

You are not limited to the three boards Microsoft happens to build test images for and I suggest you reach out to the OEMs for their level of support for IoT Core.

I believe AllWinner has a sub $100 solution but you will have to reach out to them for further details. See Community Devices at https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/Explore/deviceoptions

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, February 17, 2017 6:35 PM
  • I'm also looking to find the cheapest Windows IoT board with DirectX support.  There are several that use an AllWinner A64 that are very inexpensive (down to $15), but it looks like the Mali400MP2 GPU that they use would be just as incompatible with DirectX as the RPi.  Can anyone confirm that DirectX with hardware acceleration works on an A64 based board?
    Monday, February 27, 2017 4:45 PM
  • Hi DRayX,

It would be appropriate to reach out to AllWinner directly for an answer to this question.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, February 27, 2017 5:00 PM
  • Windows IOT Core runs fine on most Intel Baytail and Cherrytrail Atom platforms including your compute stick with minimal effort.  We were able to build Windows IOT core on a Baytrail Atom motherboard and got the touchscreen, USB ethernet and Wifi all working.  Most Windows drivers work fine out of the box.  Cost of this motherboard with 2GB ram, 32gb emmc is around $50 all in but had to pay $20k development cost to spin the board.
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 7:10 AM
  • Hi A64 can not support DX. Because ARM does not provide DX support on  MALI400.

Saturday, March 04, 2017 1:25 PM
  • @IOTEnthus, 

Do you have a BSP package for Intel Compute Stick that you would be willing to share or sell?  

• Edited by S Tonstad Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:37 AM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:37 AM