none
Job graphs - total execution time

Question

• Hi! Whats means "total execution time", which describes a Super Vertex in job graph? In the picture below, we can see that SV1 vertex was working almost 3 minutes, but total execution time is 10 minutes 54 seconds? Is there any source of information how to interpret the graphs?

Saturday, May 28, 2016 2:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for asking the question. I am not sure where did you get the "3mins" data? I don't see that in the graph...

Basically the time shown in the middle (29.74 secs for SV1) stands for the average vertex run time for a certain stage, while the total execution time in the black box (00:10:54) stands for the total run time for this given stage (SV1). (29.74 sec *22 = 654.28 sec = 00:10:54).

We are planning to give more explanation for this graph, and feel free to give us any suggestions for this job graph! You can write your comments in this thread, or you can also reach me at xiaoyzhu at Microsoft dot com.

Thanks

Xiaoyong Zhu

Monday, May 30, 2016 2:06 AM
  • I think you are getting the 3 minutes from the playback timer at the bottom. This refers to the "wall clock" time you would have observed when the job actually ran. This is also different because the system is doing a lot of work in parallel across multiple cores. This is part of the power of the system that helps you do more execution time in a shorter window of elapsed time.
    Monday, May 30, 2016 2:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for asking the question. I am not sure where did you get the "3mins" data? I don't see that in the graph...

Basically the time shown in the middle (29.74 secs for SV1) stands for the average vertex run time for a certain stage, while the total execution time in the black box (00:10:54) stands for the total run time for this given stage (SV1). (29.74 sec *22 = 654.28 sec = 00:10:54).

We are planning to give more explanation for this graph, and feel free to give us any suggestions for this job graph! You can write your comments in this thread, or you can also reach me at xiaoyzhu at Microsoft dot com.

Thanks

Xiaoyong Zhu

Monday, May 30, 2016 2:06 AM
  • I think you are getting the 3 minutes from the playback timer at the bottom. This refers to the "wall clock" time you would have observed when the job actually ran. This is also different because the system is doing a lot of work in parallel across multiple cores. This is part of the power of the system that helps you do more execution time in a shorter window of elapsed time.
    Monday, May 30, 2016 2:16 AM