Missing Compare option on context menu of Source Control Explorer RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi there,

I'm trying to compare 2 projects in my TFS, but my compare icon on the toolbar of the source control explorer is disabled, evenmore the option "compare" on the right click menu is not there either!

* Other machines in my office have the "compare" option on the right click menu, but my doesn't.

* My visual studio is the same as the all other machines (Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software developers).

* I've added my account even as server and project administrator with no luck.

* I already checked my workspaces and they both are properly set.

How can I have that compare option to show up?

I also have a weird error everytime I get latest version from any workspace. It randomly returns me an error saying that one of the files that it was trying to get couldn't be found. But I'm not sure if that could be related..

someone help please.

Thanks,

Marcelo

Thursday, September 20, 2007 4:56 PM

Answers

• Sorry for the misunderstanding. so, there is no compare between folders in TFS 2005, you must download the Team Foundation Power Tools http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa718351.aspx which includes the compare folders in the Visual Studio IDE, if you don't want to install this, you can compare folders with the command line "tf diff".

Friday, September 21, 2007 5:46 PM

All replies

• For comparing filies, first of all you need a version of this file in your workspace, so first you need to solve that get latest version issue

I would, first of all, enable tracing and check what is happening when you try to do a get latest version,  you can do this editing the Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe.config file before the closing </configuration> tag, and add the following:

<appSettings>
          <add key="VersionControl.EnableSoapTracing" value="false" />
       </appSettings>

<system.diagnostics>
            <switches>
                <add name="TeamFoundationSoapProxy" value="4" />
                <add name="VersionControl" value="4" />
            </switches>
            <trace autoflush="true" indentsize="3">
                <listeners>
                  <add name="myListener"
                type="Microsoft.TeamFoundation.TeamFoundationTextWriterTraceListener,Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Common, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
                   initializeData="c:\traceTFS.log" />
                </listeners>
            </trace>
        </system.diagnostics>

I will generate the traceTFS.log so you can check for this problem.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:32 PM
  •  

Hi Luis,

I can compare files, I cannot compare folders. If I select a file from the source code, I can see the "compare" options on the right click or the toolbar. And it does work properly.

I think I fixed the problem on the get latest version, I think my tree was too long (over 255 chars) so it was not allowing it to save files there. I renamed some of the first parent folders for a much smaller name, and that error didn't happen again so far. If it does I will add the tracing to it as you suggested.

Now, back to the compare problem. My problem is trying to compare folders or projects. Comparing files works fine.

Thanks,

Marcelo

Thursday, September 20, 2007 8:16 PM
  • Sorry for the misunderstanding. so, there is no compare between folders in TFS 2005, you must download the Team Foundation Power Tools http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa718351.aspx which includes the compare folders in the Visual Studio IDE, if you don't want to install this, you can compare folders with the command line "tf diff".

Friday, September 21, 2007 5:46 PM
  •  

Hi Luis,

Thats exactly what I was looking for, I didn't know about the Power Tools, and didn't noticed that installed on the PCs that had that option.

Thanks a lot!

Marcelo

Friday, September 21, 2007 6:00 PM