drop down list style RRS feed

• Question

• User-976275607 posted

I'm a designer trying to style an asp.net 2.0 drop down list. I'm applying a class to it, but would like to change the appearance of the down arrow that appears on the right side of the menu. Is there an easy solution?

My menu's default style (with border and background style applied by me using a class property in the xsl) appears on the left. Another drop down I found online appears on the right. I am wondering (a) is the appearance of thte button customizable or, if not (b) why does  the menu on the right appear differently than the default for my menu? Any insight anyone can provide would be very helpful.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:07 PM

Answers

• User2045693258 posted

as far as i know there is no way within .net itself to change the style of the drop down, i think it's specifically set to be whatever the computers system style is. the dropdown on the right is what you get on a mac. it's probably made using javascript and css. as a designer myself, for usability purposes i'd say dont change the style of the dropdown too much because it stops it being so recognisable as a dropdown

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:52 PM
  • User2045693258 posted

you'd have to create some kind of faux dropdown using css and javascript, much like you would if you were creating a dropdown menu in a nav bar. i seem to remeber reading somewhere that a dropdown is one of the controls you can't style with css because it's part of your systems styling, like if you were running a win95 machine it'd be the old style like you've got there (although you've got a stroke/border applied to it in red)

i'd go with the javascript/css route, just google dropdown menus and adapt the code you get

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:18 PM

All replies

• User2045693258 posted

as far as i know there is no way within .net itself to change the style of the drop down, i think it's specifically set to be whatever the computers system style is. the dropdown on the right is what you get on a mac. it's probably made using javascript and css. as a designer myself, for usability purposes i'd say dont change the style of the dropdown too much because it stops it being so recognisable as a dropdown

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:52 PM
  • User-976275607 posted

i'm viewing both of these on a mac. Also, the one on the right doesn't appear to have any style applied to it.

I think I can style everything but the arrow on the right. You think that is using a computer's default? Is there any way to have it use a different image rather than the computer default maybe?

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:33 PM
  • User2045693258 posted

you'd have to create some kind of faux dropdown using css and javascript, much like you would if you were creating a dropdown menu in a nav bar. i seem to remeber reading somewhere that a dropdown is one of the controls you can't style with css because it's part of your systems styling, like if you were running a win95 machine it'd be the old style like you've got there (although you've got a stroke/border applied to it in red)

i'd go with the javascript/css route, just google dropdown menus and adapt the code you get

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:18 PM
  • User-976275607 posted

ah, ok. Thanks!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:34 PM