none
Updating box with VS2010 with VS2015

Question

• Folks, I hope I can get some basic answers to this.   

My WIN 2008 development box went down. It has my VS PRO 2010 production build.  I got a new box, renewed my VS PRO 2015/MSDN subscription (actually a new subscription since it had expired in 2011).   I just finished installing WIN 10 Enterprise and I am ready to begin the VS PRO 2015 (Update 2) install.     

Should I reinstall VS2010 first in order to get my current production rebuilding process back, then install VS2015 second?  Will it co-exist?  Any nagging issues to consider?

I was planning to put the original box hard drive into the new box since it contains my source code and version control and then xcopy it to C: drive.  But I don't think I can run the older VS2010 without reinstalling.  Is this correct?

Any basic tips?  I have a lot to catch up with, thanks. :)

Hector Santos, CTO Santronics Software, Inc. http://www.santronics.com

Monday, April 04, 2016 5:10 PM

Answers

• Yes, VS2010 and VS2015 can co-exist on the same OS.

Personally I wouldn`t bother with installing VS2010 if your intention is to upgrade the project anyway. Just be sure to keep a back up in case the upgrade wizard fails (which can happen but rarely does for VS2010->VS2015 migration). If it does fail, then you can go ahead and install VS2010

I do emphasize again, however, that if this is production code, your first order of business is to create a backup. Indeed, you should have been doing this all along anyway.

Monday, April 04, 2016 6:55 PM

All replies

• Yes, VS2010 and VS2015 can co-exist on the same OS.

Personally I wouldn`t bother with installing VS2010 if your intention is to upgrade the project anyway. Just be sure to keep a back up in case the upgrade wizard fails (which can happen but rarely does for VS2010->VS2015 migration). If it does fail, then you can go ahead and install VS2010

I do emphasize again, however, that if this is production code, your first order of business is to create a backup. Indeed, you should have been doing this all along anyway.

Monday, April 04, 2016 6:55 PM
  • Brian, I'm going to straight with VS2015 install, C/C++ compilations and batch builds and hope nothing drastic has changed here.  :)   

Thank you

Hector Santos, CTO Santronics Software, Inc. http://www.santronics.com

Tuesday, April 05, 2016 4:03 AM