Ignore unimportant errors in web test RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I have question about features in work with web tests.

I have such situation: I create simple web test (for example: find some text in searching system "Yahoo"). When I run this test, in web test result I see "Failed. 2 primary requests and 0 dependant requests failed". This errors in minimal and in my goal I can ignore them. But in fact web test execute correctly and searching system find some count of request with text, which I find. When I'll use this test in load test, this web test result create discomfort, because in fact test execute true, but in web test and load test result tables I can see that this web test execute false.
    My question - can I set any option in VSTS, that VSTS ignore this errors and result of web test in test result table in this situation was passed (not failed).

Thanks'.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:42 AM

Answers

• Do you mean embedded files, as in dependant requests?  They would appear as child node requests under the recorded request (parent node) in the playback results?  You won't see these requests in the recording, either, only in the playback results.  If this happens, set Parse Dependant Requests = FALSE in the properties window.  I'm a little busy today, but there's plenty of literature about the Parse Dependant Requests setting in these forums.  From what I gather, these requests aren't recorded for a reason.  Setting PDR to FALSE helps keep the test stable by helping to avoid false test failures and re-recording due to minor changes on the site.

If this isn't what you mean, I'll need some more info.  Good luck!
    TL
    • Edited by T L Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:02 PM re-phrase
    • Proposed as answer by T L Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kastet Thursday, October 1, 2009 1:27 PM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:55 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure this is exactly what you want. 
    If you are running a validation to find the text you can use validation levels to configure which validations run as a part of load test.  Set the validation level to high for all validations you do not need to run during a load test and by default you will not run those validations during a load test but you will run them if you execute the web test alone.

See the section titled Use Validation Levels in this blog: http://timsbrownbaglunch.blogspot.com/2009/08/more-vsts-2008-team-test-edition-tips.html
    or see the MSDN section titled "Impact of Validation Rules on Load Testing " here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404670.aspx
    Tim
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:25 PM
  • Easiest thing in my opinion is to set the Expected HTTP Status Code of the requests (in properties) to whatever is being returned.  So if a web test call consistently comes back with a staus of 404 - Not Found, just enter 404 in the Expected HTTP Status Code.  When you re-run it, it will pass because you are validating the failed response.
    TL
    • Proposed as answer by T L Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kastet Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:51 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kastet Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:15 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:22 PM
  • T L, Thank's for your right answer. But I have new question about features of option "Expected HTTP Status Code". When my http node have embedded files, like JS (Java Script) and this file, when I run web test, return error code 404 (NOT FOUND). But when I set in field "Expected HTTP Status Code" value 404 and run web test, this node still return that test failed.
    Can I set "Expected HTTP Status Code" for embedded files in node, which don't visible when I record web test, but visible when I execute test?

Thank's.

Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:30 AM
  • Do you mean embedded files, as in dependant requests?  They would appear as child node requests under the recorded request (parent node) in the playback results?  You won't see these requests in the recording, either, only in the playback results.  If this happens, set Parse Dependant Requests = FALSE in the properties window.  I'm a little busy today, but there's plenty of literature about the Parse Dependant Requests setting in these forums.  From what I gather, these requests aren't recorded for a reason.  Setting PDR to FALSE helps keep the test stable by helping to avoid false test failures and re-recording due to minor changes on the site.

If this isn't what you mean, I'll need some more info.  Good luck!
    TL
    • Edited by T L Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:02 PM re-phrase
    • Proposed as answer by T L Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kastet Thursday, October 1, 2009 1:27 PM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Guys -

I am running into a similar problem, If someone can please help.

- Record/Playback feature being used

- Going to my site and recording, Everything gets cleared fine

Then when I replay I am getting errors - Parent node seems to be clearing at status 200 OK but then I am getting a 500 Internal Server Error on the child. I tried setting the Parse Dependant Request= False and adding 500 to the Expected HTTP Status Code and re-running the script. No dice, Getting the same errors.

I would like to just have these ignored, Suggestions?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 11:40 PM