none
Ideas on how to solve this quandary? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a general issue with controlling games via kinect.

From a coding perspective, most things are clear to me.

I want to control ego-shooters via kinect and I am not sure which part of the body is a good one to attach the mouse to. And in which way.

I found that creating an absolute positioning, that means creating a zero point on the gamescreen and by moving your hand to the left, the view moves left but if you move to the center, it moves back to the center. So each movement of your hand equals a given point on a sphere around the player perspective.

Drawbacks: Movement of the character is impossible. Also the kinect is not precise for small movements.

By creating relative movement, ie moving the hand to the left moves the game screen to the left till you move to the center again allows movement of the character but makes aiming an issue.

Also assigning little movement in reality to huge movement in the game makes navigation easier but aiming impossible. Vice versa makes fast movement a problem but aiming works. But till you find the enemy, you'll have already died.

Attaching the shoulders to movement leads to unwanted yaw and pitch of the game screen. Also the same problem exists.

Ideas on how to solve this quandary?

Eisenanstreicher

Sunday, March 11, 2012 4:41 AM

All replies

• Where is a better forum for this question?

Eisenanstreicher

Monday, March 12, 2012 12:14 AM
  • Richard,

I think shooters on the Kinect are just hard.  All the Xbox Kinect games that do it end up painting targets to get over the accuracy issues.

That said, have you tried using one hand for movement and the other for shooting?  Is that too awkward?

James

James Ashley - Presentation Layer Architect at Razorfish Emerging Experiences
    jamesashley@imaginativeuniversal.com
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com www.emergingexperiences.com

Monday, March 12, 2012 4:19 PM
  • That said, have you tried using one hand for movement and the other for shooting?

Can you elaborate that?

Eisenanstreicher

Monday, March 12, 2012 5:49 PM
  • Skeleton tracking allows you to distinguish the right hand from the left.  Why not use the left hand to do your movement navigation and the right to aim.

www.imaginativeuniversal.com www.emergingexperiences.com

Monday, March 12, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Skeleton tracking allows you to distinguish the right hand from the left.  Why not use the left hand to do your movement navigation and the right to aim.

http://www.imaginativeuniversal.com/blog www.emergingexperiences.com

I want to tell you how I understand you. So you think, the left hand should be assigned to the character movement, in this case the relative mouse movement, the right-hand to aiming, in this case the absolute mouse movement.

But ego shooters' mouse movement combines rotating the character with aiming. So every time what is in the middle of the screen is the target. So you cannot distinguish between aiming and moving.

If that wasn't what you were talking about, please elaborate more.

Eisenanstreicher

Monday, March 12, 2012 11:02 PM
  • Well mouse movement is relative when I did reasearch for my project: kinect multipoint. I found out that with multi-mouse apps it gets a smug laggy but not much if your code is written well. I think you could still have the feet for moving forward and backward or hip type joint or something close to it in kinect (better for moving but not looking around), use head tracking to see what direction their looking into for just looking around but not moving, and finally for gun aiming have the person do a pose that can be moved around with the hand they will be using (probably poor example but use your finger in a L shape as a test for gun aiming and firing).

This is theory but I thought if I was playing a game that would seem logical and best way to do it because by default thats what im going to assume how to use it or something close to that.

Im interested in kinect for games as well but for 3d model importing and skeleton bone animation assigning to a model.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Monday, March 12, 2012 11:32 PM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 11:30 PM
  • Thanks for all the help.

Eisenanstreicher

Monday, March 19, 2012 4:36 PM
  • Richart remember that windows will make your mouse say inside the screen and not move off of it but if you set your screen when in full screen mode to specific size then you have nothing to worry about because you could bounds check between all sides of the screen based on my experience with a simple java game i had to make where i whacked a mole for my java class: top,bottom,left, right (top and bottom will be the same and so will left and right because of the way computer monitors and tv screens are manufactered).

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Monday, March 19, 2012 4:53 PM