SQL Lite database access? RRS feed

• Question

• If I have a SQL Lite database on my desktop machine, and I launch a silverlight4 business application from that same machine, can I open the SQL Lite database and read records from the tables?  Can it be done as an out of brower application?

Friday, June 17, 2011 8:56 PM

Answers

• Silverlight works on client and under a safe sand which means it won't allow to visit outer resource except Isolate Storage or customer allowed it.  Therefore, I don't think your desired to do it.

Friday, June 24, 2011 4:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Robotuner,

SQL Lite? What do you mean?  Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0. If yes, One year ago as I know this does not support EF but support Custom Object for Silverlight.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 12:05 AM
  • Oops, sorry, I meant SQLITE (http://sqlite.org/releaselog/3_7_6_3.html) not SQLSERVER CE.  Since it is a lightweight desktop database there is some question in my mind whether Silverlight could even open the tables on the desktop machine.  The connection string is a local path, nor is the database part of the Silverlight project. 

The scenario is this.  A WPF application is used to create and update this SQLite desktop database.  Then, when there is network or internet connectivity, a Silverlight application is launched, it is suppose to open the SQLite desktop database, open the tables and synchronize against an enterprise dB like Microsoft SQL Server or MySQL.   When the strategy was presented to me, I immediately wondered if the Silverlight application could open and read a desktop DB like SQLite.

Thanks.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 11:44 AM
  • Silverlight works on client and under a safe sand which means it won't allow to visit outer resource except Isolate Storage or customer allowed it.  Therefore, I don't think your desired to do it.

Friday, June 24, 2011 4:27 AM