none
Can't access my webserver via EW4 RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings.  I was recently asked by my webserver to change my password.  I did (server is ipower.com) 

NOw when I attempt to update and add pages to my website, I receive a popup (Connect to www.roseavenue.org) the website.  It gives our user name and asks for password.  Whether I enter the password or not it goes to a 2nd popup - called "Windows security"  The message states: "The server www.roseavenue.org is asking for your user name and password.  The Username is there (and is accurate), and password is blank.  When I enter our password, and press Ok, the pop up repeats itself.  It does this indefinitely until the window freezes with another popup - "Server Busy" with the message, "This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy".

This is as far as I can get.  Does anyone know what would be causing this?  I have contacted Ipower and they say it is a software issue.  Thanks for any input.

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 6:05 AM

All replies

• How are you connecting to your site? Are you editing your pages locally, then using the Publish feature to update your hosted site?  In that case, did you update your Publishing destination with your new password?

If you are trying to "edit live", I can't help, since I never do that, although if all you did was change your FTP password, nothing else should have changed.  (I'll ask:  was the password your host asked you to change your FTP password, or your hosting panel password?  They aren't usually the same thing.  And, of course, assuming it was the FTP password, are you absolutely sure the ftp password you changed it to and the one you are using are the same, no typos in either case?)

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Thursday, June 7, 2018 3:26 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 4:23 PM
  • Expression Web is now outdated.  The problem you are having is very likely the same one I am.  Just last night I attempted to connect to my server via FTP and was denied.  I am no longer able to log into my site via expression web because the ciphers are outdated.  

I am going to have to find another program.  

BTW -  I attepted to log in via FTP SFTP and FTPS.

CORRESPONDENCE FROM OUR WEB HOST.

We have also checked the FTP logs on our end. According to the information, it seems that the connection is being aborted due to the weak ciphers used in the current version of the Expression Web 4. A cipher suite is basically a complete set of methods (also known as algorithms) needed to secure a network connection through SSL/TLS. Looking up to a better security of your content with us the following ciphers have been updated on the business servers recently:
    ECDHE-ECDSA-DES-CBC3-SHA
    ECDHE-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA
    EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA
    These ciphers are already outdated and are not accepted by common Internet security standards. Unfortunately, not all the FTP clients keep their data updated accordingly or may use different cipher suits. What we may suggest you is either updating/re-installing the FTP client you are using, trying a secured SFTP connection or considering a different FTP client.

Friday, June 8, 2018 10:06 PM
  • Jimmy,

Your answer might be correct, but might not be, unless you are also on ipower - you didn't specify.  The OP would have to ask if his host changed the FTP protocols.  EW was connecting just fine before the password change.

You might want to modify the statement that "EW is outdated".   If you mean EW's FTP client isn't being updated, that is true: some newer FTP connections don't work because of newer protocols/security, and you need a different FTP client if your host uses those.  But FTP is only one part of EW, and its web development tools and development server keep chugging along, even if you don't use its internal FTP.  I'll mention that EW's FTP connects to all my sites, on several different hosts, so it's not a given that EW's FTP can't be used.   The first versions of EW's FTP client had enough problems that some users used an external FTP client anyway.  The later/last version's FTP client was much more robust, so that was no longer necessary, but the point is that if it becomes necessary again, it's not a deal breaker.

Kathleen Wilber

Saturday, June 9, 2018 6:01 PM
  • What FTP clients do you recommend? 
    Saturday, June 9, 2018 8:01 PM
  • Filezillla (it's free) is popular, and constantly being updated

ClarkNK AKA HomePage Doctor
    Database Tutorials Using ASP.NET Controls
    My recommended web hosting company: RDOServers

Saturday, June 9, 2018 10:58 PM
  • I like Filezilla too - but beware the owner has turned a bit dodgy over the last few years and the install often comes packaged with PUPS (Potentially Unwanted Programs) and malware!!! He caught me out and he doesn't care :(

Try a Google to see the current state of play...
    Sunday, June 10, 2018 4:41 PM
  • That's interesting. I run Malwarebytes and don't recall running into any malware as a consequence of a Filezilla upgrade.  How did you become aware of that?

Sunday, June 10, 2018 7:24 PM
  • If you go to the download button on https://filezilla-project.org/download.php, you see, right below it, "This installer may include bundled offers. Check below for more options." That download has "bundled" in the name.  Instead, follow the instructions to "see below" and click to "Show additional download options".  You'll see the setup.exe files without anything bundled.

Kathleen Wilber

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, June 10, 2018 10:50 PM
    Sunday, June 10, 2018 10:49 PM
  • Yes, well every so often when I run Filezilla it offers to install the latest version, and to the best of my knowledge, that gets me the basic setup file, free of added "offers"

Monday, June 11, 2018 2:19 AM