none
Can I hide the "(Visual Studio xxxx)" text on old projects in the Solution Explorer?

Question

• When I open a solution that has projects from an older version of visual studio, it places text like "(Visual Studio 2012)" beside each project name in the Solution Explorer.  I find this distracting and it makes the whole thing hard to read.

Is there a way to turn that off so that it just displays just "ProjectName" and not the additional "ProjectName (Visual Studio 2012)"?

I could open it in the matching Visual Studio IDE version but I would miss many of the new editor features.  I would upgrade the projects, but then any changes would cause an incompatibility with the company build server, which builds that project using an older tool-chain (and potentially many other breakages associated with upgrading.)

Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Wyck,

If I open the VS2012 project using the VS2015, it still has this issue if we open it without update. Like this screen shot, if we change it to other platform toolset for example "VS2015 v140", it would not share the name.

But it means that we update the app, as you said that it would be a real issue if it has some incompatibility functions.

For this issue, one idea is that you could submit the connect report for it:http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx

Maybe the report team members could resolve this issue in the future.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Wyck Monday, December 14, 2015 12:32 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2015 7:19 AM

All replies

• Just found this thread which did not propose a way of doing it.  But also does not confirm whether or not it's possible as of VS2015.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:13 PM
  • Hi Wyck,

If I open the VS2012 project using the VS2015, it still has this issue if we open it without update. Like this screen shot, if we change it to other platform toolset for example "VS2015 v140", it would not share the name.

But it means that we update the app, as you said that it would be a real issue if it has some incompatibility functions.

For this issue, one idea is that you could submit the connect report for it:http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx

Maybe the report team members could resolve this issue in the future.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Wyck Monday, December 14, 2015 12:32 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2015 7:19 AM
  • @Jack-Zhai, Thanks.  I've submitted feedback.
    Monday, December 14, 2015 12:33 PM