none
BizTalk Host Instance shuts down when using WCF-SQL Send Adapter. RRS feed

• Question

• In BizTalk Server 2013 R2 I have now experienced the following  issue on 3 environments (2 independent customers and also replicated it locally on a test environment).

I am using a WCF-SQL Send Port pointing at a remote SQL Server where MSDTC is not configured.

UseAmbientTransaction is set to TRUE (default).

When running a message through the send Port I first get this expected warning:

Warning/MSDTC Client 2:

A caller has attempted to propagate a transaction to a remote system, but MSDTC network DTC access is currently disabled on machine 'AGFSQLPROD'. Please review the MS DTC configuration settings.

But after that, I get these errors and the Host Instance stops!! (Correct me if I'm wrong, but a host instance is never supposed to Stop, no matter what kind of error occurs inside an Adapter etc.?)

Error/.NET Runtime:

Application: BTSNTSvc.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.Runtime.CallbackException
    Stack:
       at Microsoft.ServiceModel.Channels.Common.Design.AdapterAsyncResult.SignalFinished(System.Object, System.Exception)
       at Microsoft.ServiceModel.Channels.Common.Channels.AdapterRequestChannel.AsyncCall(System.Object)
       at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
       at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

Error/Application Error:

Faulting application name: BTSNTSvc.exe, version: 3.11.158.0, time stamp: 0x538aea40
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17055, time stamp: 0x532943a3
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x00011d4d
    Faulting process id: 0x854
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d0bd3eff9d463c
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2013 R2\BTSNTSvc.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: f31f5eed-2932-11e5-80c8-000d3ab1814c
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Can anybody else replicate this?

Morten la Cour

EDIT: I have also learned, that when this happens, no tracking entries for the send port are written in the dbo.dta_MessageInOutEvents table, not even the receive (status = 0) event! Also the messages are not suspended, so they are simply lost.

• Edited by la Cour Monday, July 13, 2015 8:09 AM
    Monday, July 13, 2015 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

It is weird issue . Host instance should not go to stopped state if send port or receive location is shutting down .

However you need to make ambient transaction to false if MSDTC is not being enabled on the destination SQL server . If Ambient transaction is set to false BizTalk always wait for a request ACK message through DTC transaction which causes whole transaction to fail .

I have faced similar issues while connecting to SQL server in DMZ Environment were DTC transaction was not enabled  and we were getting error similar to you mentioned above  .

Thanks
    Abhishek

Monday, July 13, 2015 8:34 AM
  • So you also experienced that the Host Instances stopped, and the message disappeared without any trace in the Tracking Database?

Monday, July 13, 2015 8:53 AM
  • Nops ,It was with BizTalk 2010 and only the send port goes stopped state instead of host instance .

I was able to see suspended messages inside my BizTalk administration console .

Thanks

Abhishek

Monday, July 13, 2015 9:35 AM
  • Can anybody replicate this in a BizTalk Server 2013 R2 enviornment? Like I already said, I have seen this 3 places now, and to me it seems like a pretty serious bug, since BizTalk looses messages and stops its Host. 

Morten la Cour

Monday, July 13, 2015 10:02 AM