none
Fatel Exection Engine Error RRS feed

• Question

• I'm developing one typical vb.net application using visual studio 2005. My application has multiple threads and interaction with the hardware devices through serial port , USB (hid) and somewhere in my code Im using sockets for TCP communication. Each communication independently running in different threads & interacting with main threads using delegates. Application perfectly working fine except in few cases it gives an error message and aborts execution and there is no stack trace and no clue of which line of code causing this error.

Following are the error details

FatelExectionEngineError was detected

The runtime has encountered a fatal error. The address of the error was at 0x79f566f8, on thread 0xdf4. The error code is 0xc0000005. This error may be a bug in the CLR or in the unsafe or non-verifiable portions of user code. Common sources of this bug include user marshaling errors for COM-interop or PInvoke, which may corrupt the stack.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Im using some dll also to communicate with hid device

Any help will be appreciated.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:36 PM

Answers

• The garbage collected heap got damaged.  That's invariably done by unmanaged code, typically by a buffer overrun.  Anything you use to talk to custom hardware is suspect, "some dll" sounds like a very good candidate.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 12:57 AM
  • That will not work, it's meant to do something entirely different.  You really did destroy the garbage collected heap, the CLR cannot continue running.

Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by eryang Friday, October 9, 2009 3:50 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 4:14 PM

All replies

• The garbage collected heap got damaged.  That's invariably done by unmanaged code, typically by a buffer overrun.  Anything you use to talk to custom hardware is suspect, "some dll" sounds like a very good candidate.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 12:57 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Hans!. Got some clue about where exception arises. Ofcourse its in dll only. But can anyone provide a work around this issue. I try to suppress the error message by addding the following

<runtime>
        <legacyUnhandledExceptionPolicy enabled="1" />
      </runtime>

in the app.config file. But still error message appears & application crashes

Friday, September 25, 2009 4:07 PM
  • That will not work, it's meant to do something entirely different.  You really did destroy the garbage collected heap, the CLR cannot continue running.

Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by eryang Friday, October 9, 2009 3:50 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 4:14 PM