Can a SharePoint 2013 content database be added to a SQL AlwaysOn Availibility Group with both Synchronous and Asynchronous replicas RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

• Could someone advice or help answer if my interpretation of the diagram below is correct?
    • If I am correct then should this hold truth
      Can a SharePoint 2013 content database be added to a SQL AlwaysOn Availability Group (AOAG)  with both Synchronous and Asynchronous replicas? 

from the designed diagram below, is my interpretation as follow correct?

One AOAG group:  PROD-AG2

member Replicas:

SQL1 and SQL2  Synchronous mode (S)
    SQL1 and SQL3  Asynchronous mode  (A)

Thanks in advance for all comments and advices.

Swanl

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:30 PM

Answers

• As long as this database can be added to the availability group, this can be implemented from the perspective of sql server.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by swanl98 Friday, September 20, 2019 2:31 PM
    Friday, September 20, 2019 7:27 AM

All replies

• Hi swanl98,

The requirement for adding to the always on availability group is as long as it is not a system database. Sorry, I don't know much about the SharePoint content database. In my experience, this counts as a user database, so I think I can join the availability group. Could explain why you need an asynchronous replica in addition to a synchronized replica, what do you want to achieve?

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 8:48 AM
  • Hi Dedmon

Yes,  Content database is like user database.

The diagram that I reference for my question come from this article.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/administration/plan-for-sql-server-always-on-and-microsoft-azure-disaster-recovery#Bp5

In this design diagram, Asynchronous mode is highly recommended when setup replica for syncing database cross farm

Thanks

Swanl

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 7:14 PM
  • From what I know this can be achieved , a database can be sync with one node and Async with other node this is how AG works. There are 2 replicas of same database one sync and other async

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, September 20, 2019 7:16 AM
  • As long as this database can be added to the availability group, this can be implemented from the perspective of sql server.

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by swanl98 Friday, September 20, 2019 2:31 PM
    Friday, September 20, 2019 7:27 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for you comment, this will help confirm my understanding of this diagram and the concept behind it for AGAG.

Swanl

Friday, September 20, 2019 2:30 PM
  • Thanks

I am glad I understand the same way.

Swanl

Friday, September 20, 2019 2:31 PM