none
Not all dependencies show up in Application Map

Question

• Hello all,

We've made a sample app that is hosted on Service Fabric. The services (3) are all ASP.NET Core stateless services.

Application Insights is set up and data is send to Azure.

We see all events as they happen, Live Metrics is awesome.

This is the flow

client --> MainService (POST) --> ReferenceService (GET), and then --> BrokerService (POST) which calls --> external API (GET)

We see the the calls from MainService to ReferenceService and the calls from BrokerService to the external REST API, but NOT the calls from MainService to BrokerService.

What can we do to make the map show this dependency?

Thanks in advance, regards

Sijmen Koffeman

--- yOu aNd mE are ...

Monday, December 10, 2018 11:32 AM

Answers

• The Application Insights SDKs include a dependency module that automatically collects partial dependency information for your Web app. To get the complete data, you might want to install the appropriate agent for the host server as listed here.

You can also write your own SDK calls to monitor other custom dependencies, both in the client and server code, using the TrackDependency API.

The Application Map feature in Application Insights generates the topology automatically from the Telemetry received from your app. Please check out the Official documentation on Dependency Tracking for Application Insights to know more.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 12:48 PM

All replies

• The Application Insights SDKs include a dependency module that automatically collects partial dependency information for your Web app. To get the complete data, you might want to install the appropriate agent for the host server as listed here.

You can also write your own SDK calls to monitor other custom dependencies, both in the client and server code, using the TrackDependency API.

The Application Map feature in Application Insights generates the topology automatically from the Telemetry received from your app. Please check out the Official documentation on Dependency Tracking for Application Insights to know more.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 12:48 PM
  • What would be the host if we run .net core services on service fabric?

--- yOu aNd mE are ...

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 6:29 PM
  • Please let me know the version of the Application Insights SDK that you're using currently to help me troubleshoot this further.

To ensure that you have all the latest features, please consider upgrading your SDK to a later version.

For more info, please refer to "Automatic HTTP correlation that works in containers" section of this blog post to know more about the newer features being introduced, and see if it works for you.

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 12:11 PM
  • Hi SiKo_279,

Have you had a chance to check if any of the above options worked for you? Please let us know otherwise and we'll be happy to assist you!
    Monday, January 14, 2019 8:44 AM
  • Hello SiKo_279,

Have you had a chance to check if any of the above options worked for you? Please let us know otherwise and we'll be happy to assist you!

Thursday, January 17, 2019 4:22 PM
  • Hello Bhargavi,

Thanks for the pointers. We're still compiling the results.

Once we have reached a conclusion, we'll update here.

--- yOu aNd mE are ...

Thursday, January 17, 2019 4:32 PM
  • Sure, thanks for reaching out to us!
    Thursday, January 17, 2019 4:35 PM