none
how to compile a project so that AV products will not try to block them RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have a question about compiling projects. So I have AVG installed and every time I try to compile and run a program that I am making AVG will launch it into what it calls cyber capture mode where it runs a quick scan on it and then will let me run it normally. But, how to I stop it from doing that? The only way I was able to stop it was to exclude my projects folder from AVG protection. What do I need to do or add to my project to make AVG see that it is safe and does not need to scan it? 
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:56 PM

Answers

•  My question is more like what is the difference between my project and some other program that only gives you a smart screen warning? I have run programs before that gave me a smart screen warning but AVG never tried to run them in cyber capture mode, yet with my projects windows does not give me a smart screen warning but AVG launches them in cyber capture mode. Why is that? 

It's not just *your* projects, it happens to every developer of new programs.

Every time you build a program, whether for the first time or after making
    changes, you're creating a new executable with a new hash value. No AV is
    going to be able to recognize it, or have it in a whitelist of safe or
    trusted applications. So it has to be examined.

Known applications that have been checked before - by anyone anywhere using 
    AVG/Avast - will be whitelisted in the cloud and recognized as safe.

AVG and Avast use "Cyber Capture" which is a sandboxing technique to allow
    running an unknown app in a virtual environment to see what it does before 
    allowing it to rum live. There is an option to turn that feature of the 
    protection off.

Many/most AVs will check and prompt for action when encountering these new
    executables. Kaspersky keeps a list of Trusted apps, but as noted each time
    you make a change and rebuild it effectively becomes a new and unknown
    program that must be checked and cleared. There is nothing you can configure
    in the build that will make the new exe you created "look like" - have the
    exact same contents and hash as - a previous build.

For more discussion of such issues you should try the Avast forums - which
    provide more detailed discussions than the AVG forums. Both products use 
    the same technology as AVG was acquired by Avast some time ago.

Another source for discussions of issues related to protection software,
    etc. is the Wilders Security forums:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/

- Wayne

Thursday, December 19, 2019 3:25 AM

All replies

• Find another AV that will not block the execution of the programname.exe file, go to AVG settings to the "Allow List" and give the name of the program file to allow execution or disable AVG when doing development.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 8:08 PM
  • Many anti-virus software like Norton will allow you to ignore a folder e.g. say you have projects under C:\DotNet, ignoring this folder would allow you to work, now this means you should never place external executables under that folder. This is what I've been doing for years.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 8:28 PM
  • I know that. My question is more like what is the difference between my project and some other program that only gives you a smart screen warning? I have run programs before that gave me a smart screen warning but AVG never tried to run them in cyber capture mode, yet with my projects windows does not give me a smart screen warning but AVG launches them in cyber capture mode. Why is that? What is the difference? From what I understand windows gives you smart screen warnings if an EXE does not have a valid certificate, however AVG seems to ignore that. What do they have that I don't have that makes AVG see them as safe?
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:43 PM
  • No one here in the C# forum I believe is an AV export or a Windows O/S expert, and those are the forums you need to seek out and post questions to. 

But as far as AVG is stopping you from running a program in  code development environment, either disable AVG or find another AV that doesn't do what AVG is doing. 

• Edited by DA924x Thursday, December 19, 2019 12:28 AM
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 12:27 AM
  •  My question is more like what is the difference between my project and some other program that only gives you a smart screen warning? I have run programs before that gave me a smart screen warning but AVG never tried to run them in cyber capture mode, yet with my projects windows does not give me a smart screen warning but AVG launches them in cyber capture mode. Why is that? 

It's not just *your* projects, it happens to every developer of new programs.

Every time you build a program, whether for the first time or after making
    changes, you're creating a new executable with a new hash value. No AV is
    going to be able to recognize it, or have it in a whitelist of safe or
    trusted applications. So it has to be examined.

Known applications that have been checked before - by anyone anywhere using 
    AVG/Avast - will be whitelisted in the cloud and recognized as safe.

AVG and Avast use "Cyber Capture" which is a sandboxing technique to allow
    running an unknown app in a virtual environment to see what it does before 
    allowing it to rum live. There is an option to turn that feature of the 
    protection off.

Many/most AVs will check and prompt for action when encountering these new
    executables. Kaspersky keeps a list of Trusted apps, but as noted each time
    you make a change and rebuild it effectively becomes a new and unknown
    program that must be checked and cleared. There is nothing you can configure
    in the build that will make the new exe you created "look like" - have the
    exact same contents and hash as - a previous build.

For more discussion of such issues you should try the Avast forums - which
    provide more detailed discussions than the AVG forums. Both products use 
    the same technology as AVG was acquired by Avast some time ago.

Another source for discussions of issues related to protection software,
    etc. is the Wilders Security forums:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/

- Wayne

Thursday, December 19, 2019 3:25 AM
  • Ask AVG

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Thursday, December 19, 2019 2:43 PM