none
Locking Styles RRS feed

• Question

• MS Word 2010 on Windows 7

I have a form with rich text controls in cells that have a bullet style assigned to the body text areas. The user can enter text in the control and type enter to add additional bulleted items. 

Problem:  Users are toggling off the bullet which is not allowed. How do I make it so the bullet style cannot change.  I tried using the restrict styles feature but when the retur is used to create a second bulleted line, it does not allow the same style since it has been restricted. 

Is there a way to restrict the formatting of a style without restricitng the use of the style?

Thanks

Debra Ann

DebraAnn

Saturday, March 1, 2014 1:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>> Is there a way to restrict the formatting of a style without restricting the use of the style? <<

As far as I know, there are no other ways to achieve the goal. This is a Word feature by design currently. If you want Word to support more features, please feel free to submit it in Office Feedback.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 3, 2014 6:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>> Is there a way to restrict the formatting of a style without restricting the use of the style? <<

As far as I know, there are no other ways to achieve the goal. This is a Word feature by design currently. If you want Word to support more features, please feel free to submit it in Office Feedback.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 3, 2014 6:58 AM
  • Hi Debra Ann

My suggestion would be to de-activate the built-in bullet button on the Ribbon for this form or at least re-purpose using code so that it can check where the current selection is and not take any action if that's not appropriate.

From the little information you give us it's difficult to say more than that...

1. Is this "form" a template (*.dotx/m)?

2. Have you done any Ribbon customization (Ribbon XML) in it, up to this point?

3. Are you familiar with customizing the Ribbon and/or writing macros?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:34 PM