none
Questions before publishing my first app

Question

• Guys,

I'm close to finishing my first Windows 8 App. I already read on msdn about the publishing process and a few questions arose. Maybe you can help me out?

.) I'm using VS Express 2013, so the app is targeted for Windows 8.1. Should I create a version for Windows 8.0 as well? There would hardly be any need for code changes, except I would need to spend time on snapped view that is required under 8.0 which I had hoped to avoid ;-) So, what do you think? Will I lose out many downloads if I don't support 8.0?

.) I read about the new concept of app packages. I'm providing assets for the three scales so going for an app package would propably make sense. However, there is one set of asset I'm only providing once (I put it into the "scale-100" folder) because it's used as backgrounds which I set to UniformToFill. I didn't feel the need to provide different sizes of these files since they get scaled anyway. Will going for app packages mean that I need to put these assets into the "scale-140" and "scale-180" folders also? (Not sure if I'm too good in explaining that question...)

.) My app is only supporting English. However, in the German store, I would like to provide German store text (the App would remain in English). Is this possible?

Many thanks in advance!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:14 PM

Answers

• Apps can have separate 8.0 and 8.1 packages. So if you want to create an 8.0 version of an app that already has an 8.1 version (or vice versa), you simply upload a separate package to your already published app. Of course users will get whichever package fits their Windows version (or if there is no 8.1 package 8.1 users will get the 8.0 package).

You can create 8.0 apps in Visual Studio Express 2012, and this can be installed along with VS Express 2013. I think (not 100% sure) that non-Express versions of 2013 can also create 8.0 apps.

The 8.0 and 8.1 versions will be the exact same app in terms of name and store visibility. The only difference will be that the end-user gets whichever package best suits their OS.

I personally am not catering to 8.0 in any new apps I make. There are no good reasons for users to stick with 8.0 as far as I'm concerned, but it will cost downloads. Most Windows 8 users haven't upgraded to 8.1.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 1:35 PM

All replies

• You can only provide app descriptions for languages your app supports. Also, I don't think you can create a Windows 8 package from VS 2013 Express. You can add Windows 8 support at any time, so you don't lose out by submitting now.
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:08 AM
  • Hello Raymond,

You can create Windows 8 UI apps with Visual Studio Express, however you cannot create standalone Windows desktop apps (ones that can be run in their own resizable window)

-Eric

Windows Phone Developer Support

Send us your feedback about the Dev Center

Windows 8 UI Developer Support

Saturday, January 25, 2014 12:19 AM
  • Thank you guys. So the "plan" would be to do a parallel install of Visual Studio Express 2012 and do the Windows 8 version there. Is there any downside to this approach? When I build the Windows 8 version, can it have the same name than the Windows 8.1 app and can I just add it to the existing store app? If I go down that route, can I still use app packaging for the 8.1 version?
    Monday, January 27, 2014 2:48 PM
  • I have a similar query: How can I develop and test a Windows 8.0 version when I have upgraded to VS2013 on Windows 8.1 Build Desktop and 8.1 Tablet environment ?  - So far I have only been abale to build/ test W8.1 Versions.  I presume I can still build W8.0 version in VS2013, but I have no environment for tsting against W8.0.

I was shocked at how many people are staying with Windows 8.0, and so I am missing out on their customer base.  So much fragmentation in Windows these days.

Silverlight an XNA Fan

Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:59 AM
  • Apps can have separate 8.0 and 8.1 packages. So if you want to create an 8.0 version of an app that already has an 8.1 version (or vice versa), you simply upload a separate package to your already published app. Of course users will get whichever package fits their Windows version (or if there is no 8.1 package 8.1 users will get the 8.0 package).

You can create 8.0 apps in Visual Studio Express 2012, and this can be installed along with VS Express 2013. I think (not 100% sure) that non-Express versions of 2013 can also create 8.0 apps.

The 8.0 and 8.1 versions will be the exact same app in terms of name and store visibility. The only difference will be that the end-user gets whichever package best suits their OS.

I personally am not catering to 8.0 in any new apps I make. There are no good reasons for users to stick with 8.0 as far as I'm concerned, but it will cost downloads. Most Windows 8 users haven't upgraded to 8.1.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 1:35 PM
  • Thank you pumpkinszwan. I guess I will build a Windows 8.0 version in VS Express 2012 then. I agree, there is no good reason not to upgrade to 8.1. But If people just don't upgrade, I guess I have to adjust to that. Thanks.

Friday, January 31, 2014 11:47 AM