Is "Tap and Send" feature require the same app at both (receiver and sender) side ?

Question

• I have read this thread, my app has it's own extension for files and it uses its own Local Folder for file saving, so user doesn't have direct access to files. Now I have used the list box for showing the files and other theirs information and the share contract so "Tap and send" will be visible and user will share the file with NFC , so the receiver without my app wil be able to receive the file ? If yes then how can I save the file to reciever's app's Local Folder directly ?
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:36 AM

Answers

• Someone who does not have your app can still receive the file through "Tap and Send", yes. They likely will not be able to open the file without your app though since it sounds like you specified a custom extension.

If your intention is to only communicate these files between users who have your app already, you may want to just send the content directly between your apps (see PeerFinder), instead of using "Tap and Send". "Tap and Send" is primarily targeted and sharing more common content types (ie: pictures, music, urls, etc).

If you do use "Tap and Send" and your app is installed on the receivers machine, the file should open in your app. Note that if you send multiple files they would only open in your app if your app was registered as the Autoplay handler for that file type.

-Mike [MSFT]

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:23 AM