conditionally set a fields value - suggestion needed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have this scenario that involves a number of fields.

Fields

1, Amount ( number, calculated column ), default value =0
    2. HOD Approval - ( drop down control, calculated column ), values = ( "N/A", Approved", "Rejected","Pending for Approval", default value = Pending for Approval
    3. Procurement Head Approval- ( drop down control, calculated column ), values = ( "N/A", Approved", "Rejected","Pending for Approval", default value = N/A
    4. CEO Approval - ( drop down control, calculated column ), values = ( "N/A", Approved", "Rejected","Pending for Approval", default value = N/A
    5. CFO Approval - ( drop down control, calculated column ), values = ( "N/A", Approved", "Rejected","Pending for Approval", default value = N/A
    6. PR Status = text column, no default value

1st scenario - if Amount>3000
      and HOD Approval = "Approved"
      and Procurement Head Approval = "Approved"
            then PR Status = "Approved"

2nd scenario - if Amount>5000
      and CEO Approval = "Approved"

3rd scenario - if Amount>8000
      and CEO Approval = "Approved"
      and CFO Approval = "Approved"

How do I configure the scenarios above, without using code ..if possible..

Rules work only when a field gets updated.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 6:06 AM

Answers

• I personally use buttons (vs the dropdowns for approvals).  There's multiple ways to go about it, but I'll share my typical method of choice. 

I remove any submit and save options from the form's toolbar.  I add a Submit and Save button to the view of the form that the user would be using to fill out their request.  These are conditionally formatted to only appear when the user is the same user who created the form - and they only appear when the form has not been submitted, or the form was rejected.  I also add similar buttons for Approve and Reject for each approver - that only appear for that approving user, and only if it requires their approval.

Your scenarios above actually don't make full sense - I think I see where you're trying to go with it but can't be sure.  All of the scenarios above say if the amount is greater than $3000, but all each scenario does is add an approver.

What I do with the status is what I like to call a rolling status.  Each approver has their own status until all approvals equal Approve or NotRequired. So, you could have statuses such as:

[Blank] (not yet submitted)
    Submitted
    Approved1 (or HODApproved)
    Approved2 (or ProcApproved)
    Approved3 (or CEOApproved)
    Approved4 (or CFOApproved) (this would actually change to approved since it's the last possible required approval)
    Approved   (all approved)
    Ordered

Monday, August 22, 2011 3:47 PM

All replies

• I personally use buttons (vs the dropdowns for approvals).  There's multiple ways to go about it, but I'll share my typical method of choice. 

I remove any submit and save options from the form's toolbar.  I add a Submit and Save button to the view of the form that the user would be using to fill out their request.  These are conditionally formatted to only appear when the user is the same user who created the form - and they only appear when the form has not been submitted, or the form was rejected.  I also add similar buttons for Approve and Reject for each approver - that only appear for that approving user, and only if it requires their approval.

Your scenarios above actually don't make full sense - I think I see where you're trying to go with it but can't be sure.  All of the scenarios above say if the amount is greater than $3000, but all each scenario does is add an approver.

What I do with the status is what I like to call a rolling status.  Each approver has their own status until all approvals equal Approve or NotRequired. So, you could have statuses such as:

[Blank] (not yet submitted)
    Submitted
    Approved1 (or HODApproved)
    Approved2 (or ProcApproved)
    Approved3 (or CEOApproved)
    Approved4 (or CFOApproved) (this would actually change to approved since it's the last possible required approval)
    Approved   (all approved)
    Ordered

Monday, August 22, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Ok, sorry there was a typo, will check and get back to you
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:37 AM