Default install of Time Tracker won't work. RRS feed

• Question

• User846897852 posted
    (Posted on the MS Official Site as well).  I'm trying to install and run the Time Tracker Starter Kit (C# version) using Visual Studio 2005 Web Developer Express on XP Pro SP2.  Pressing Ctrl-F5 from the IDE gives an error saying that the data connection can't be found (that is, can't connect).  I've stopped my local SQL Server and IIS, and am using the built-in web server and trying to attach the provided MDF file (trying to use them, anyway), changing nothing in the downloaded website files.  I'm simply installing the Starter Kit from the VSI file, choosing New Web Site in the IDE, picking the template, building, and trying to run the app, basically following the instructions here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms972955.aspx.

Here's the error: provider: "SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified"

Here's the provided connection string: "Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated security=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|TimeTracker.mdf;User Instance=true" />. Again, this is the what the kit provides, and my machine isn't be anything special.

Any clues?

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:31 PM

All replies

• User-955209475 posted

Hi Ricksolie,

I have just grabbed the template and installed it into VWD Express and it seems to run fine.

You mentioned stopping your local SQL instance. It will need to be running (and it needs to be SQL 2005). You'll also need user instances enabled (which is the default, but the installer gives you the option to turn it off).

I hope that helps.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:06 PM
  • User555306248 posted

Check in web.config for connectionString, configure it according to your server name, password etc.

In Time Tracking System, it uses inbuild Membership classes for user creation, updation etc..

You have to register your DB with ASP.NET Membership classes by executing the command line utility in VS prompt

aspnet_regsql, it will open one window, where you  have to configure DB.

Hope it will help you, let me know.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:43 PM
  • User846897852 posted

Chetan, thanks for your help.  I'd done all that you suggested before, but no luck when using local IIS (localhost), but it's working now using built-in web server.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 10:18 AM
  • User846897852 posted

Imco and Chetan, thanks.  I thought I'd read somewhere that in SQL2005 you could attach an MDF file without the DB engine running--brain spasm, apparently, since this makes no sense whatsoever.  Whatever, after restarting SQL Server and correcting the connection string to work with the developer edition of SQL the app is now working fine using the built in web server.  Next step is to get it working using local IIS.  Thanks again.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 10:22 AM
  • User555306248 posted

What kind of error you are getting, when using IIS

Try to register your IIS with ASP.NET by running aspnet_regiis command from VS prompt

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:40 PM
  • User846897852 posted

Chetan, thanks again.  I've done all this stuff (..regiis..., ..regsql...) and mostly it works.  The errors are security related and have to do with permissions for the default user, what sort of security is in place, whether or not anonymous access is allowed, and the like.  I'll figure it out.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 10:50 AM
  • User555306248 posted

Thats nice. for security purpose,

I think you have to add, machinename/ASPNET user in SQL server Login section

Let me know if this helpful to you

If yes, mark the answer, so it will helpful for others

Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:51 PM
  • User-955209475 posted

Hi ricksolie,

IIS can be confusing if you're new to it. Especially if you're used to how Apache or one of those other webservers handles things.  ;) Throw in the Windows permission model and you've got a couple of hours of learning to do. :( If you know someone who admins Windows for a living they can probably get you up to speed relatively quickly.

As you mentioned permission issues, in cases where 'the default' isn't enough,  I typically try and setup a separate "service account" for my apps. Microsoft has a how-to about how to do it.

You can also try and grant the required permissions to the network service account (assuming you're on 2k3/IIS6), Microsoft details that method as well.

I hope that helps. 

Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:57 PM