SQL 2005 Mirroring - Time to Syncronize RRS feed

• Question

• I've set the principal and mirror successfully.  Now the mirror indicates In Recovery and and the principal indicates Syncronizing.  My question is how long does the sync take.  I'm using the Northwind database as a test case.

Thanks.

Sunday, January 4, 2009 10:50 PM

All replies

• The purpose of the synch operation is to replay any transactions that have occurred on the primary since the backup that was used to prepare the mirror.  (eg, if you've taken a full backup, then any transactions that occurred since that full backup).  Given that the Northwind database is tiny, and it's likely that you've ever heavily modified it, the time to synchronise should be neligible.

I'd double check to make sure both the principle and mirror are connected.  Try these DMVs:

SELECT * FROM sys.database_mirroring
    SELECT * FROM sys.dm_db_mirroring_connections
    Monday, January 5, 2009 2:17 AM
    Answerer
  • Normally, the time it takes to get synchronized after establishing a mirror depends on things like the size of the unsent log, your network bandwidth, and the IO capacity of the principal and the mirror.  With Northwind, and probably no activity, it should synchronize nearly instantaneously.

Have you right-clicked on the database in SSMS, and clicked on Refresh?  SSMS is very bad about not changing the mirroring status unless you refresh.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Yes i did try a refresh.   The Mirror is in a VMWare client (2003 Advanced Server).  The Mirror Monitor shows an error that the Principal can't retrieve data from the mirror.  However, I didn't receive any errors during setup (using Wizard)

Is this a Certificates issue?

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 8:25 PM