none
Teach Kinect my custom positions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I"m very new to Kinect, and I want to make kinect recognize some of my own gestures. 

What would be the best way to "teach" kinect about my positions? Is thre a built in way to make Kinect learn your gestures?

If not, how would I program that in? (Given that I already know the angles between the joints)

JT

Sunday, February 12, 2012 12:55 AM

Answers

• Hi JT,

It would depend upon exactly what you want to track.  If you're talking about just tracking the skeletal points and determining if someone moves their arm or leg, you can just stick with the Skeletal tracking alone.  As for a 'gesture' in the skeletal form you'd probably have to determine a range of motion & a given time frame to define if the customer has 'met' the parameters for a given guesture.

If you're instead intersted in knowing if the user is holding up a given number of fingers on their hand, then you might need to use partially skelal tracking to find their wrist, then correlate that with the camera capture.  You could then create a bounding box around the approximate point of the wrist point and then further interpret the finger positions.

If you can provide an example of a guesture or two that you want to detect it'll be easier to talk specifcs.

Thanks,

~Jonathan Tanner - [MSFT]

Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows Phone 7 Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:12 AM

All replies

• Hi JT,

It would depend upon exactly what you want to track.  If you're talking about just tracking the skeletal points and determining if someone moves their arm or leg, you can just stick with the Skeletal tracking alone.  As for a 'gesture' in the skeletal form you'd probably have to determine a range of motion & a given time frame to define if the customer has 'met' the parameters for a given guesture.

If you're instead intersted in knowing if the user is holding up a given number of fingers on their hand, then you might need to use partially skelal tracking to find their wrist, then correlate that with the camera capture.  You could then create a bounding box around the approximate point of the wrist point and then further interpret the finger positions.

If you can provide an example of a guesture or two that you want to detect it'll be easier to talk specifcs.

Thanks,

~Jonathan Tanner - [MSFT]

Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows Phone 7 Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:12 AM
  • What if I want to recognize a static posture, which will require me to track the entire body? A simple example being recognizing when the user is standing at attention.

JT

Sunday, March 4, 2012 11:12 PM
  • Hi JT,

Skeletal tracking is going to provide the best 'overall' whole body tracking for your purposes.  But since peoples heights vary, I imagine it might be very tricky to determine if someone is standing at 'Attention' with their hands at their sides, vs. if they're standing in a relaxed manner with their arms at their sides.  You'd have to capture / compare the skeletal points of both positions to see if you can really determine enough delta in position to notice any difference.

While there probably is a difference, I would imagine it would need to be something you calibrate for each user, instead of something you can pre-set for all users.  Probably the wrist positions will vary the most, but other points might shift as well.  But overall it'll take some testing and prototyping to determine for certain.

Thanks,

~Jonathan Tanner [MSFT]

Monday, March 5, 2012 6:09 PM
  • Hi mr JT,

Please check a similar post which suits your requirement for gesture recognition.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdk/thread/b799721b-b029-41e3-8e4d-79ede563a8b1

Thanks,

Bharat.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 11:53 AM