Encrypt Connection to SQL Azure from Excel RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I can't find clear answer about connection encryption between Excel and SQL Asure.

When I paste required fields Encrypt=True;TrustServerCertificate=False to connection string Excel uses Extended Properties.

Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password=XXX;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=XXX;Initial Catalog=XXX;Data Source=XXX.DATABASE.WINDOWS.NET;Extended Properties="Encrypt=True;TrustServerCertificate=False";Use Procedure for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096;Workstation ID=XXX;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag with column collation when possible=False

Simple changing Use Encryption for Data=False to True isn't work.

Is my example connection string correct for the encrypted connection?

Thanks!

Monday, November 29, 2010 11:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

SQL Azure doesn’t support unencrypted connections. If you try to request an unencrypted connection in Excel, SQL Azure signals Excel to establish an encrypted connection. However, to avoid Man-In-The-Middle Attack, we should always use encrypted connections. Setting Encrypt=True will work. For more information, you can refer to:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlazure/archive/2010/05/10/10009230.aspx

Hope this help,

Raymond

Raymond Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

SQL Azure doesn’t support unencrypted connections. If you try to request an unencrypted connection in Excel, SQL Azure signals Excel to establish an encrypted connection. However, to avoid Man-In-The-Middle Attack, we should always use encrypted connections. Setting Encrypt=True will work. For more information, you can refer to:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlazure/archive/2010/05/10/10009230.aspx

Hope this help,

Raymond

Raymond Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:09 AM
  • Thank you, Raymond!

It is very helpful.

Sergey

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:47 PM
  • In the similar context. We have a VSTO app where connection string has to be in the app.config on the client side.The solution is deployed to mutliple users using clickonce. How do we hide/encrypt the connection string in this case.

Thanks

Friday, December 10, 2010 6:52 PM