Generate Debug Info RRS feed

• Question

• User980047249 posted

I am using WDP for several ASP.NET projects. I wanted to generate PDB files when building in Release mode, so I can debug easily on production site. I was surprised to find out that the option Generate Debug Info does not do exactly what it says. Instead of generating PDB files as I expected, it sets <compilation debug=”enable”>.

This is very confusing for me, because instead of getting debugging symbols, I end up with not optimized and slow web site.

Is there a way to turn on generation of PDB files in release mode? It is possible to do it with aspnet_compiler –d option.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

Thanks,

Sunday, August 5, 2007 12:10 PM

All replies

• User-653715245 posted

Did you ever get this working? I'm facing the same issue.

Monday, April 7, 2008 4:30 AM
  • User980047249 posted

No, I just throw away the WDP project and started to use aspnet_compiler and aspnet_merge by hand.

Microsoft, my IE7 crashed at least 5 times while I tried to reply on this post. Can you please check?

Thanks,

Martin Kulov

www.kulov.net

Monday, April 7, 2008 9:08 AM
  • User-762694769 posted

If you want retail pdbs, you could use the following in your web.config:

<system.codedom>
            <compilers>
                <compiler language="c#;cs;csharp" extension=".cs" type="Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" 
                           compilerOptions="/debug:pdbonly"/>
                <compiler language="vb;vbs;visualbasic;vbscript" extension=".vb" type="Microsoft.VisualBasic.VBCodeProvider, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" 
                           compilerOptions="/debug:pdbonly"/>
            </compilers>
        </system.codedom>

Note that if you used -d with aspnet_compiler, it will be equivalent to using "/debug" on the compiler.

Monday, April 7, 2008 2:27 PM
  • User-1436512885 posted

This doesn't seem to work for me. I when I build the Web Deployment Project without Generate debug information checked but with the compilerOptions settings, it doesn't produce .pdb files in the output. Am I doing something wrong?

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:55 AM