Compile the WinRT example code failed with VS 11 Developer Preview

Question

• To compile the WinRT code by using the VS11 Developer Preview, I need to add C:\Windows\System32\WinMetadata directory to the Reference Directories and Library WinRT Directories, after that, I still miss the Windows.Applicationmodel.Core and Windows.Applicationmodel.Infrastructure assembly, do you know how can i fix that?
    • Moved by Rob Pan Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:07 AM (From:Visual C++ General)
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:33 AM

Answers

• I guess Dion is either trying this on a non-Windows 8 box or he installed VS11 preview on a Windows 8 box that didn't already have VS Express installed.  In the latter case, you may need to install an additional SDK component.  I am following up on that and will get back with more info.

Thanks
    Raman Sharma

Program Manager, Visual C++ 

• Marked as answer by Dion Chen Friday, September 30, 2011 2:40 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dion Chen Friday, September 30, 2011 2:40 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, it seems that your thread is about Building Metro style apps with C++. So I will move your thread to the correct forum for better support. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Rob

Rob Pan [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:07 AM
  • What project template did you use? I didn't have to do anything of what you described and I built with no problem WinRT component DLL and Metro style apps with VC++.
    Microsoft MVP VC++ | www.mariusbancila.ro/blog | www.codexpert.ro
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:51 PM
  • I guess Dion is either trying this on a non-Windows 8 box or he installed VS11 preview on a Windows 8 box that didn't already have VS Express installed.  In the latter case, you may need to install an additional SDK component.  I am following up on that and will get back with more info.

Thanks
    Raman Sharma

Program Manager, Visual C++ 

• Unmarked as answer by Dion Chen Friday, September 30, 2011 2:40 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:35 PM
  • To build Metro style apps, you need to download the Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)image - that is the only download which contains everything needed to build Metro style apps.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:45 PM
  • I was about to go install a separate box (32bit system) with the visual studio express preview. Is this even going to work? what other components will need to be installed?
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:59 PM
  • You want to build Metro style app on other system that Win8? No, that's not possible and I don't think Microsoft has any plans for porting WinRT on previous OS in the future.
    Microsoft MVP VC++ | www.mariusbancila.ro/blog | www.codexpert.ro
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:55 PM
  • Yes, you are right. I installed the VS 11 Developer Preview on Win8 without the VS Express. :)

So, if i want to build the application target the WinRT, how can i work around the issue?

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:42 PM
  • Thank you!
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:42 PM