How to run application as background in windows phone ? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying develop chat application using XMPP, It's working when application in foreground, if user exit application its automatically disconnect to server (Jabber server). 

Could you please help me !

How to make application as background ?  

[Once user login into jabber server, user should be in active state even application is closed. user should be connected state until user click logout to jabber serser. ]

Thank you

siva varri

Thread response from msdn

Thursday, January 2, 2014 12:46 PM

All replies

• On Windows Phone, only one app runs in the foreground at a time. If the user navigates away from an app by pressing the Start button or by launching another app, the current app is suspended.

There is a limited set of APIs that you can use while your app is running in the background. For a list of the APIs that are allowed, see Features that can be used while running in the background for Windows Phone 8.

You can find more information about running apps in background in the following link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/jj681691(v=vs.105).aspx

Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:53 PM
  • On Windows Phone, only one app runs in the foreground at a time. If the user navigates away from an app by pressing the Start button or by launching another app, the current app is suspended.

There is a limited set of APIs that you can use while your app is running in the background. For a list of the APIs that are allowed, see Features that can be used while running in the background for Windows Phone 8.

You can find more information about running apps in background in the following link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/jj681691(v=vs.105).aspx

Thank you for your response, What you share those links regarding application running in background that are working only in windows phone 8, but i want to run application background in windows phone 7, If it is possible please help me.

My application completely works with IM (XMPP (Jabber) Server).

Actually in Windows Phone shows list of back ground running applications in  Settings -> background tasks  [those application are running even user can not open the App], how to implement background task app like WeChat

thank you

siva varri

Thread response from msdn

Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:12 AM
  • The link you have been provided shows everything that is currently possible on Windows Phone 8 (although the majority is true for WP7.5 as well). You can't keep an application running in the background. Chat Apps like WeChat or WhatsApp use Microsoft's push notifications to send messages to the user while the App is not running.
    Friday, January 17, 2014 1:47 PM